Son forgot to release emergency brake.

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
kmoses
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000

Son forgot to release emergency brake.

Post by kmoses »

Was teaching my son how to drive a manual transmission this weekend around the neighborhood. He did well enough that I let him take it around by himself Sunday. When he pulled back into the driveway, I could smell brake pads cooking. Sure enough, when I looked in the car the emergency brake lever was up. The time driven was about 5 minutes and he probably hit 30 mph. The rotors look good and did not overheat but when I use the brakes now, the front end really dives and I think the rear brake pads are glazed. Will the glaze wear off or do I just need to replace them. The brake system is new (pads, rotors, calipers, lines....everything replaced less than 600 miles ago).
mpollock
Your car is a: 1979 spider 2000

Re: Son forgot to release emergency brake.

Post by mpollock »

You might be able to sand the glaze off of the pads. Put a sheet of fine grit sandpaper on a flat surface and place the pads braking surface down. Move the pads in a circular motion to remove the glaze.
kmoses

Post by kmoses »

I checked the paperwork where I ordered my brake parts and the pads are Simi-metallic. I'm thinking trying to remove the glaze from them would be a iffy at best so I just ordered new ones.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

I'd flush the fluid also and replace it with fresh, uncooked fluid
kmoses

Post by kmoses »

I had not even thought about the fluid getting to hot, thanks!