Under-hood/cowl sound-deadening material?

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
bjbrown
Your car is a: 1980 fiat spider 2000

Under-hood/cowl sound-deadening material?

Post by bjbrown »

In my restoration project on our 1980 spider, I removed the original sound-deadening material from the cowl vent area under the panel that holds the wiper mechanism (just in front of the windshield). Couple of questions about this area:
1. What materials are you using in your restorations to replace that original tar/asphalt-based covering? Is it necessary? Or, have you simply left the metal painted? Inside the passenger compartment, the tar-based material seemed to attract and retain moisture and promote rust. I've removed that too and plan to replace with a layer of dynamat-type stuff.
2. The trough under the cowl cover however is exposed to outside weather through the heater vent grilles and will therefore get wet in rain. Mine however, was not rusted (some minor surface rust in areas). Any concerns about putting sound-deadening material in that trough insofar as rust prevention is concerned?
3. Was that tar/asphalt covering originally for sound-deadening or did it have some other purpose?
4. Has anyone thought to apply sound-deadening material on the underside of the trough? Something like the dynamat product?

Boise, Idaho
1980 Spider 2000 EFI
1972 Sport Spider 850
4uall
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat Pininfarina Spider 2000 F.I.

Re: Under-hood/cowl sound-deadening material?

Post by 4uall »

Jay

Fiona
1980 FI 2000 Spider
ITZEBTZE

https://goo.gl/photos/eNKaX7hrXhBu9fmp6

FINN (FN-2187)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport
MYTHERPY
DRUMMOND
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: Fiat Spyder 2000 1980 Pininfarina

Post by DRUMMOND »

yes, it is for sound deadening. I put por15 on first then Rattle trap mat. make sure it has an aluminum top layer. do both inside and outside
bjbrown

Post by bjbrown »

4Uall, thanks. Did you use that EZ Cool stuff in the cowl trough? Any problems with it getting wet?

Drummond, do you have any information on where to source the rattle trap mat? Is it similar to the EZ Cool mat that 4Uall cited? You said to put it on the outside AND inside. When you put it on the inside (under the dashboard), is there any interference with the electrical or heater or A/C systems to watch out for? I currently have my dash completely stripped of everything down to the unit body being painted. It'd be good to get the sound deadening on before re-assembling anything.
Boise, Idaho
1980 Spider 2000 EFI
1972 Sport Spider 850
Wanting
Your car is a: 1972 BS1 Euro Spider

Post by Wanting »

Is it easy to remove the cowl vent area?

I need to do this at some stage as my plastic vents are cracked and have overspray on them.
RRoller123
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 FI SPIDER 2000

Post by RRoller123 »

bjbrown wrote:4Uall, thanks. Did you use that EZ Cool stuff in the cowl trough? Any problems with it getting wet?

Drummond, do you have any information on where to source the rattle trap mat? Is it similar to the EZ Cool mat that 4Uall cited? You said to put it on the outside AND inside. When you put it on the inside (under the dashboard), is there any interference with the electrical or heater or A/C systems to watch out for? I currently have my dash completely stripped of everything down to the unit body being painted. It'd be good to get the sound deadening on before re-assembling anything.
You don't want to apply any of these insulating foam products to the trough of the cowl, since they are not suitable for an application that is meant to become repeatedly wet. Use an Undercoating or a Truck Bed Liner spray product. I used undercoating on the cowl trough of mine, and used truck bed spray liner on the floor of the cabin, then EZ Cool over the TBL in the cabin.

Pete

'80 FI Spider 2000
'74 and '79 X1/9 (past)
'75 BMW R75/6
2011 Chevy Malibu (daily driver)
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Ext Cab 4WD/STD BED
2002 Edgewater 175CC 80HP 4-Stroke Yamaha
2003 Jaguar XK8
2003 Jaguar XKR
2021 Jayco 22RB
2019 Bianchi Torino Bicycle
bjbrown

Post by bjbrown »

Wanting, it's real easy to remove the cowl covering. There are six screws you can access with the hood (bonnet) open. Remove those screws and it should lift right out. Underneath, is the wiper mechanism assembly and the windshield washer plumbing. Remove the connectors to those systems and you can take the whole thing to your workbench. The plastic vents are held in place with two metal clips that just slide into place, and three rubber "screws" that push the vent up against the metal cowl.

RRoller123, Thanks for the suggestions on the cowl trough. I think that sounds like the right way to go - some material that will withstand repeated water incursion without self-destructing. I'm guessing that's why they used that tar-based stuff from the factory. My trough was surprisingly rust-free when I'd stripped it all down.
Boise, Idaho
1980 Spider 2000 EFI
1972 Sport Spider 850
RRoller123
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 FI SPIDER 2000

Post by RRoller123 »

Protect the fenders as you fold back the cowl. This is what mine looked like 5 years ago when I first took a look under there. And take care not to damage the windshield rubber gasket as you both remove and reinstall the cowl. When you are reinstalling it, it slips under the gasket along its length.

Pete

'80 FI Spider 2000
'74 and '79 X1/9 (past)
'75 BMW R75/6
2011 Chevy Malibu (daily driver)
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Ext Cab 4WD/STD BED
2002 Edgewater 175CC 80HP 4-Stroke Yamaha
2003 Jaguar XK8
2003 Jaguar XKR
2021 Jayco 22RB
2019 Bianchi Torino Bicycle
Wanting
Your car is a: 1972 BS1 Euro Spider

Post by Wanting »

Thanks for the info on the cowling guys I was hoping it was that simple.
DRUMMOND
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: Fiat Spyder 2000 1980 Pininfarina

Post by DRUMMOND »

Rattletrap is not foam based it is rubber and aluminium and stretches to conform to curves, lay it like you wood a roof tile, with the flow of water. water should not be staying in the cowl area anyway that's a bigger problem. You can use truck bed-liner but you will not get the same sound proofing, so you might as well just paint it

Amazon sells it
Funcar
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat Spider 124

Post by Funcar »

I will be using PRO 15 on mine. Will post pictures when I get home from holiday. I also replaced the washer hoses.I didn't remove the plastic grills as they could be brittle and I don't want to be looking for a new replacement. The spring clips came out easy so I painted them as well as the cowl. The posts on both ends were covered in a plyable putty and the conners under the windshield also was stuffed/sealed with the same type of putty.I have purchased plumber's putty to cover these areas.
Glen
Kitchener ON Canada
73 Fiat Spider 124
Broadsword
Your car is a: 1970 124 Spider

Post by Broadsword »

I have not long ago taken the cowl off my car to find a great amount of dry leaves & twigs, but thankfully no tin worm.
It does not seem to have any sound deadener either.
Does this area, when treated with sound deadening material, improve sound levels in the car significantly?

[image]http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad43 ... 53x480.jpg[/img]
Nitrate
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat 2000

Post by Nitrate »

The original design, with the tar like material, is to deaden the vibration of the sheet metal. Replace with Dynamat. That will not absorb water and will accomplish the original intent. A really good article on the whole subject of sound deadeners and sound barriers related to cars can be found by doing a web search for Sound Deadener Showdown. RB
PaulC
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider 2000

Post by PaulC »

Ban this Turkey for sure!
Anbele
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000 CS2

Post by Anbele »

I second PaulC for sure!