HYDRASPORT Hydraulic Shocks from Vick's

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
kmoses
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000

HYDRASPORT Hydraulic Shocks from Vick's

Post by kmoses »

Has anyone tried these shocks from Vick Autosports?
http://www.vickauto.com/newstore/index. ... ts_id=4212
If you did, how do you like them? I have KYB shocks installed now and they give a jarring/harsh ride IMHO. I know that Koni is the gold standard but at that price they should be.
vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Re: HYDRASPORT Hydraulic Shocks from Vick's

Post by vandor »

What kind of KYBs? The white ones are way too hard for the Spiders. The silver ones that the vendors sell are a stock type shock and should not bee too harsh.
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town
kmoses

Post by kmoses »

I have the black KYB Excel-G shocks.
vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Post by vandor »

OK, those are the same as the silver ones. I am surprised you find them too stiff, I think only the Monroes may be softer.
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town
kmoses

Post by kmoses »

Not too stiff but jarring and harsh. Most of the time I drive it on two lane roads that see a lot of use (commercial trucks, dump trucks, ect) and the roads are far from perfect. As long as the surface is not mismached the ride is fine, but when you hit a patch or a section of road where the surface is slightly potholed ( less than 3/4" deep) or a pached hole that the patch is higher than the surrounding surface, the initial impact is jarring. The shocks don't seem to react smoothly to sudden surface changes.
dom

Post by dom »

A lot of this may be Tire related. Low profile tires or even worse run flats will cause this. Try different Tire pressures.
wubie317
Your car is a: 1977 Fiat Spider

Post by wubie317 »

dom wrote:A lot of this may be Tire related. Low profile tires or even worse run flats will cause this. Try different Tire pressures.
How are your control arm bushings? I'm replacing my whole control arms next week (along with dampers and bearings) because the rubber is totally gone and I get a lot of that jolting on bad road surfaces. In looking at the cost of having a professional simply replace the bushings, it seemed a better deal to simply replace the whole arms with the bushings already installed.

By the way, I did plan on doing it myself and have gone so far as to take the passenger side apart...then got scared because it didn't seem like I could get enough compression on the spring compressor. I've decided to take it in for professional help.
KevAndAndi
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat Spider 2000

Post by KevAndAndi »

wubie317 wrote:
dom wrote:A lot of this may be Tire related. Low profile tires or even worse run flats will cause this. Try different Tire pressures.
How are your control arm bushings? I'm replacing my whole control arms next week (along with dampers and bearings) because the rubber is totally gone and I get a lot of that jolting on bad road surfaces. In looking at the cost of having a professional simply replace the bushings, it seemed a better deal to simply replace the whole arms with the bushings already installed.

By the way, I did plan on doing it myself and have gone so far as to take the passenger side apart...then got scared because it didn't seem like I could get enough compression on the spring compressor. I've decided to take it in for professional help.
Yes, definitely don't have too much tire pressure. The manual for my '81 says 28 psi.

I also have KYB Excel-G shocks and a rough ride. I attribute the roughness to the many rubber bushings that are completely shot. Probably all are original to the car.

I also have purchased new control arms with bushings installed. (I'll keep the old control arms and perhaps have them blasted and painted, as a later owner may want the originals.) In addition, I purchased new trailing arms, but have not yet installed those or the control arms.

When replacing the control arms on my Volvo, I used cargo straps as an extra measure of safety. When the spring is compressed, you can loop a couple of straps from the top coil to the bottom on opposite sides and clamp them down. I believe this substantially reduces the danger of transforming the potential energy into unwanted kinetic energy.
Kevin
1981 Spider 2000
kmoses

Post by kmoses »

The tires are definitely not low profile, stock steel wheels with taller sidewall tires than stock running 28psi. Everything is new or rebuilt (suspension, steering, tie rods, ball joints, brakes, lines, wheels, swaybar rubber, bump stops, control arms, panhard, ect.). In the past year I have replaced or rebuilt everything but the differential, coil springs and the transmission (rebuilt transmission was ordered last Thursday). I am hoping to get feedback from users of the Hydrasport shocks or I will add new Koni's to the list.
lglade
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1984 Pininfarina

Post by lglade »

When I bought my car two years ago, it had an all-original suspension except for a set of KYBs that the PO installed. The car pulled like crazy under braking, and every little bump in the road sent a jolt through the entire car. It was so bad, I'd go out of my way to avoid manhole covers or utility caps in the street. And when I applied the brakes, I had to dial in about ten degrees of counter-steer just to keep it in a straight line--it was truly an awful car to drive.

I've since replaced the control arms, springs (progressives from AR), bushings, shocks (Konis), tie rods ends, flexible brake hoses, and I rebuilt all four brake calipers and replaced the front wheel bearings. I also sorted out the steering gear and idler (bushings were entirely gone), and then capped it off with a proper alignment.

The car now rides like a car should. Small bumps are now taken in stride like a car is supposed to do, and the car no longer pulls under braking. I can't say with certainty which parts fixed which problems, but those ride and handling issues are now gone and the car is fun to drive.

With all of the work you've already done, you have to be about there yourself. Keep at it...the end result is worth the effort.
Last edited by lglade on Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lloyd Glade- Mukilteo, WA
1984 Pininfarina Spider Azzurra
1962 Fiat 500D - wife's car
2015 Subaru Outback
2017 Ford Focus RS
kmoses

Post by kmoses »

A pleasure to drive is where I'm almost at. The steering is great with less than 1/2" steering wheel play when going straight, the car tracks true with no loose motion in the steering at all, breaking is straigh and true with no pulling and no shakeing of the steering wheel. As soon as I get the shocks replaced and the new transmission installed I'll be driving and smiling.
KevAndAndi
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat Spider 2000

Post by KevAndAndi »

I guess no one has tried the Hydrasports?

Aside from bushings, what is more important in lessening a harsh ride? Is it springs or shocks? What is the advantage of progressive springs vs. non-progressive?

I can see how my perished, original rubber bushings are causing a problem, and how my KYBs are not as good as Konis, but what is the problem with keeping original, stock springs? Is it enough to replace bushings and upgrade shocks, or am I not going far enough if I keep the springs?
Kevin
1981 Spider 2000
v6spider
Your car is a: 4.3L V6 Powered 1972 124 FIAT Spider

Post by v6spider »

Harshness of ride is not only the shock but the combination of the spring rate and shock dampening together.. are you running the stock springs? Or are they an aftermarket spring that lowers the car as well? Stiffer springs will certainly add to the jarring effect and I have found will smooth out with more dampening..on my spider I have some qa1 coil overs that have a 12 way adjustable dampening on them. I have the dampening dialed up pretty high currently and the ride is definitely smoother.

Cheers!
Rob
http://www.v6spider.com
4.3L V6 Powered 1972 124 FIAT Spider
kmoses

Post by kmoses »

Stock uncut springs front/rear.
JohnMc
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1970 Fiat 124

Post by JohnMc »

I have the Vicks blue hydrasport hydraulic shocks.
I like them.
The Vicks shocks replaced some very old KYB white shocks that were on the car when I bought it - one of the KYB's were destroyed and the car sitting strangely high.
After having the Vicks shocks for a while then rebuilt the front suspension and added AR's springs.
It is really holding the road well.