SWM Seeking Dashboard Help

General chat about the car goes in here.
jacksplace

SWM Seeking Dashboard Help

Post by jacksplace »

I lied about being single but would appreciate some ideas on installing a new full dashboard cap. I've been fitting it and the most difficult problem I ran into was drilling the hole for the headlights switch in the correct spot. I think I have that in the correct spot. Now the cap fits snugly but I'm going to need another person in order to get the light switch installed (not much depth on the threads of the switch).

Does anyone have first hand knowledge installing these things? Are there some tricks that might help? I'd like to get it close to right the first time. That silicone is pretty unforgiving once it sets up. Any advise would be appreciated.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

make sure the top of the dash is flat, if there are splits sand them until they're flat. Take the time to fit the cap without adhesive to its' snug on the dash. The toughest part is the base of the windshield. If you can't get the lip of the cap under the weatherstrip, you may have to trim the edge of the cap. I know several people that removed the entire dash to be able to fit the cap properly
jacksplace

Post by jacksplace »

Mark:

Thanks for the reply. I've already smoothed out all the cracks on the dash. However, since I posted my plea for help I've discovered agony of taking the lowest bidder for a new windshield. I don't have to worry about the weatherstrip at the base of the windshield. It sticks up plenty! Also, the windshield frame on the driver's side sticks out to cover the edge of the fender! I think the guy used two inch putty!

One question. If I install it without completely removing the dash, can I hope to get a decent installation if I remove the glove box door and the instrument panel and replace them later (after installing the cap)? It sure looks like a tight fit.