E-85 conversion

General chat about the car goes in here.
Danno

E-85 conversion

Post by Danno »

anybody ever done this? sounds like it wouldn't be too hard for some of you smart guys, but i wouldn't know where to begin.

That would be cool to do since I live out here in corn land...

slow day here on the ole Fiat Forum, do you guys actually work or something?
SUMMARY
Finally there are really only three changes to make on any internal combustion engine using E-85 for the
fuel source. The first of these and perhaps the most important is to change the fuel ratio to run a richer
mixture, from around 25% to as much as 50%. I have found that by purchasing 6 new stock jets for the
fixed jet carburetor used on the supermileage vehicles, then using a tip cleaner for the Oxy-acetylene
torch, We have opened up the orifice to many different sizes. I keep them sorted by using 35mm film
containers and then labeling them. Secondly , would be to enhance the spark process. There are many
different manufactures for the parts necessary, do some research. Third and finally, we increase the
compression ratio by shaving off material from the cylinder head thereby reducing the amount of
combustion chamber volume. We had to take and carefully remove material from around the spark plug
area because of piston interference. Valve to head clearance should also be checked. For more
information on E-85, there are numerous sources on the inter net to check out.