F.I Fuel Injection Plumbing to feed dual 44IDF - ok?

General chat about the car goes in here.
kimu

F.I Fuel Injection Plumbing to feed dual 44IDF - ok?

Post by kimu »

I have a 79 Spider that is in the process of being reassembled. The engine/cams have been upgraded. I have a set of 44IDF with manifold and a complete FI system to convert this car should the carb setup prove to be unreliable. I am thinking of pre-installing the FI wiring harness and re-plumbing the fuel system to do the swap quickly.

Two questions.
1) It is my understanding that the steel lines, feed and return, for the FI fuels system are larger. Will this cause any undesirable issue to fuel the carbs?
2) What are sizes for the FI lines?
fiatguy85

Post by fiatguy85 »

The fuel line size shouldn't make any difference. The issue you'll face with that is needing a different fuel pump for each setup. FI is high pressure, low volume, while carbs need a much lower pressure and higher volume of fuel. I don't think I've heard of carbs being unreliable, just a PITA to get synchronized and tuned.
kimu

Post by kimu »

Yes, of-course, the fuel-pumps and filters are not interchangeable.

As for carbs bieng unreliable, would I be wrong to to suggest that FI are less prone to constant "tinkering" as opposed to the dual 44IDF setup?
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

I don't believe you're wrong in that assumption. The IDF's will require pressure regulated fuel. The regulator for my 40's are at 2.5 lbs of pressure, running from a mechanical pump.