Tacky Toneau

Keeping it sharp - paint, wax, detailing, etc.
Italchic

Tacky Toneau

Post by Italchic »

Well here's the latest mystery: my vinyl toneau cover has developed this tacky/sticky feel to it...can't get rid of it no matter what I try...any suggestions?
DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Re: Tacky Toneau

Post by DieselSpider »

Italchic wrote:Well here's the latest mystery: my vinyl toneau cover has developed this tacky/sticky feel to it...can't get rid of it no matter what I try...any suggestions?
Did you use any type of protectorant on it? Many times they will react badly and do more harm than good. My wife sprayed suntan/block inside one car and basically did the same to the dash with the overs pray. Over the years it just got worse and actually started weeping until it all just turned to putty over a brittle shell.
Italchic

Post by Italchic »

Yes, most likely Armoral...so basically there is no way to get rid of the tackyness?
RoyBatty
Your car is a: 1975 124 Spider - 1971 124 Sport Coupe

Post by RoyBatty »

Look for a cleaner called 303 Protectant.
http://www.superiorcarcare.net/303produ ... UzuFE1OWpo
DieselSpider

Post by DieselSpider »

Just soap and water to start and if that does not work then progress up to say Purple Cleaner. Sometimes Film Remover will work but you do have to be carefull with Isopropanol (100%).
KevAndAndi
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat Spider 2000

Post by KevAndAndi »

Naphtha is a good mild solvent/cleaner for many applications such as fabric stains, but I have no idea how it would react to vinyl. Needless to say, start in a small, hidden area to make sure it doesn't discolor or chalkify the material.

I'm familiar with this kind of tackiness, and in my experience, it usually can't be solved with water-based stuff. But it's best to start with that and get gradually more aggressive.
Kevin
1981 Spider 2000
DieselSpider

Post by DieselSpider »

The critical thing is that you have to get it taken care of before it gets below the surface after which its usually a lost cause.