Custom designed clutch arm for v6spider..

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
v6spider
Your car is a: 4.3L V6 Powered 1972 124 FIAT Spider

Custom designed clutch arm for v6spider..

Post by v6spider »

This is the prototype for a heavy duty clutch arm for my v6 powered spider. I had issues with the other one and they don't make one for a Monza Spyder any more so I designed one in CAD and some machinist friends of mine are cutting it out on a waterjet CNC machine.

http://www.v6spider.com
4.3L V6 Powered 1972 124 FIAT Spider
Tobi

Re: Custom designed clutch arm for v6spider..

Post by Tobi »

Are you sure that is going to be more heavy duty and not just more heavy? If I see that right you are replacing something made from stamped/forged steel with something milled.
v6spider

Post by v6spider »

Tobi wrote:Are you sure that is going to be more heavy duty and not just more heavy? If I see that right you are replacing something made from stamped/forged steel with something milled.
I will be using a high carbon high chromium steel alloy.. So yes it will be tougher than the original. And it has to be as the pressure plate has more gripping pressure than what it was designed for. Weight is not a factor
or concern I really fail to see why it would be considering the amount of horsepower I'm running here.

Rob
azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Post by azruss »

4140 will be a great material to use. The true weak spot of the OEM stamped version is the pivot point. If you left that point with full material and hollowed out the rest like the oem part, you may have the best of both worlds.
cormac
Your car is a: Fiat 124 spider 1976

Post by cormac »

why not eliminate the arm altogether and use a hydraulic clutch release bearing?? just a random thought :?:
v6spider

Post by v6spider »

cormac wrote:why not eliminate the arm altogether and use a hydraulic clutch release bearing?? just a random thought :?:
No room for a master cylinder and the Bellhousing I'm using is really shallow. I don't think it is deep enough for one those. Nice suggestion though. :)

Cheers!
Rob
Tobi

Post by Tobi »

azruss wrote:4140 will be a great material to use. The true weak spot of the OEM stamped version is the pivot point. If you left that point with full material and hollowed out the rest like the oem part, you may have the best of both worlds.
I would not hollow out the rest because that would make it week for sure.
I agree with Rob that waight should not be a concern it was just fitting to use that phrase (wordplay).
v6spider

Post by v6spider »

Tobi wrote: I would not hollow out the rest because that would make it week for sure.
I agree with Rob that waight should not be a concern it was just fitting to use that phrase (wordplay).
Exactly! I want this piece to be indestructable. Funny cause one of my friends at the waterjet place mentioned something about it being heavier than the stock piece and when I questioned why it would be a concern he had no answer.. Lol

Cheers!
Rob
cormac

Post by cormac »

v6spider wrote:
cormac wrote:why not eliminate the arm altogether and use a hydraulic clutch release bearing?? just a random thought :?:
No room for a master cylinder and the Bellhousing I'm using is really shallow. I don't think it is deep enough for one those. Nice suggestion though. :)

Cheers!
Rob
and as always there seems to be the whole gamut of opinion regarding their use and effectiveness...though my common sense barometer (has been known to be out of adjustment) tell me they work

I keep following your project with interest...yeah locating master cylinder might be a problem, I am using a pedal assembly with master cylinder for clutch and brake mounting inside firewall, with modifications of course, always modifications...though there are quite a few styles/applications for bellhousing and clutch - Tilton http://tiltonracing.com/product-categor ... e-bearing/ is just one manufacturer (many more) good luck and keep us posted on progress :)
v6spider

Post by v6spider »

Once this piece is cnc'd I'm done . the pedal assembly is beefed up as well as the firewall. The clutch arm is the last piece. To late on the game to change it up now I think.

Cheers!
Rob
divace73
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat 124 Spider Silver

Post by divace73 »

v6spider wrote:

Cheers!
Rob
I'm going through this conversion and placing the MC in the cabin beside the pedal box, the only thing external is the small reservoir, not sure what clutch slave is shallow but may be worth more of an investigation. I know you'll enjoy the lightness of an hydraulic clutch more.
Cheers David
-=1980 silver Fiat 124 Spider=-
If you want to see pics of my car (and other random stuff) >>click here<< OR
see my >>You tube channel<<
v6spider

Post by v6spider »

Here's the clutch arm getting cut on the waterjet...
The alloy is 4130.. Happened to be a rem they had on hand.. 5/8"

Cormac,
I checked out the link you sent.. Unfortunately, the slaves on that page were all to tall. The slave has to be height of the throwout bearing. Nothing more. Still, I will check out your work. A hydraulic clutch system would surely be a benefit. Although, a properly designed cable system will work just the same. :)

UPDATE: Looked at the price too.. $350.00 is way out of my price range.. I'm spending like $30.00 and trading some work to do what I'm doing here.

Cheers!
Rob
cormac

Post by cormac »

Looking good...if only I had someone to do CNC, for a good price or trade...yeah, the money is an issue, but my time frame helps with that, doesn't have to be done until May of 2017, when son graduates from college

bet you have some nice drives up in your part of the country, I am near Mt Hood

be well
v6spider

Post by v6spider »

cormac wrote:Looking good...if only I had someone to do CNC, for a good price or trade...yeah, the money is an issue, but my time frame helps with that, doesn't have to be done until May of 2017, when son graduates from college

bet you have some nice drives up in your part of the country, I am near Mt Hood

be well
Right on neighbor yeah there are some really cool drives.. One of which is Chuckanut drive a narrow twisty road carved into rocky hillside along the water. There's also the lake Whatcom and Sudden valley area .. When I get the bugs worked out I want to do the Oregon coast..

Rob
cormac

Post by cormac »

Yeah, roads galore with wonderful scenery but I guess all states have roads worth driving The Old Columbia River Scenic Highway is a marvel, often called King of Roads