Bumperettes

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
temason

Re: Bumperettes

Post by temason »

Great!
Any tips for attaching to shock mounts?
toplessexpat
Your car is a: 1976 Spider 1800

Post by toplessexpat »

I made a plate that bolted to the end of the shock mount, and collapsed the shock so it was flush with the body.

I also took off the shock, bolted it to the bumperette and filled the back with expanding foam. Not sure what possessed me at the time, I think a fear of the thing falling off. Needless to say, it's very well attached now! Put the shock back in, collapsed to where I wanted it and put a sheet metal screw in the drain hole.

They're going to be coming off soon anyway, as I'm going completely bumperless.

Here's what they look like right now.

---
Many classic Fiats - it's a disease!
www.mirafiori.com
temason

Post by temason »

Many thanks!
My heart says no bumpers, my head says different. This car will be occasionally driven by my 16 year old stepdaughter. I feel like there should be something there, but there is probably no actual benefit.
Conundrum...
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Post by 124JOE »

yes no diff with or without
if its 20mph or more car will be totaled
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com
toplessexpat

Post by toplessexpat »

Yep. Friends of ours hit a small deer at a slow speed. They had completely stock bumpers. Deer left a very large dent in the hood.

If it's much above 20, then any stock bumper isn't really going to assist where you're hitting modern (i.e. higher) cars, that just ride up over our fairly low bumpers.
---
www.mirafiori.com
SoFlaFiat

Post by SoFlaFiat »

That is certainly the wrong bloody hood!!!
temason

Post by temason »

OK. It's no bumpers then. Certainly looks best that way, no question. Sounds like I need to order up those round front signals!
toplessexpat

Post by toplessexpat »

Now that's a whole new series of decisions....
---
www.mirafiori.com
Sven

Post by Sven »

I built my own bullet bumperetts for my 1980 2000, turned out pretty nice. Not sure how to post the images here but here is a link to my flickr page.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/7234013@N ... ed-public/

Made them from 4" dia. Delrin (lots of work on the lathe and mill) and some bullet hub cap centers, made the turn signal grills out of 1/4" crs and used motorcycle bullet signals (nice and bright). After looking at all the available options I decided to go my own direction. The mirrors are 1958 Chevy
I love this forum, totally helped me rework the mechanical stuff on my dad's old Spider.