ignition switch issues

Gotta love that wiring . . .
tonyfromjersey

ignition switch issues

Post by tonyfromjersey »

Hello. First post to the forum. With my ignition switch in a position where I can remove the key (position II), the idiot oil light and gas gauge are still alive. If I put it in spot "0" the gauges are off, but cannot remove the key. I replaced the ignition switch but the problem remains. I put all of the wires exactly where they were on the old switch. All lights, gauges, etc work when the car is running. I could always install a battery cutoff if it comes to it. Any help?

Tony

77 Fiat Spider
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Re: ignition switch issues

Post by rlux4 »

Were the wires on the original switch soldered on or spade connected? Sounds like a wire or two was in the wrong position and you've duplicated that with the new switch. Does 77 have the door chime? It gets power when the key is inserted, could be that wire.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

http://www.artigue.com/fiat/Pubs/Wiring_1978.pdf

WIRING DIAGRAM for the '78. although it is not identical for your car, at least it will getcha going. most changes made between the years on the electrical were minor.

somewhere, before the ignition switch, someone has tampered with the wiring. Or, as ron suggests, you duplicated someone elses error.
tonyfromjersey

Post by tonyfromjersey »

Thanks for the diagram, I will pull the switch and check it out. I think I probably duplicated somebody's mistake. I will let you know how it works out tomorrow night.