Good, quiet tires for Cromodora 14 inch wheels...

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
RevDave

Good, quiet tires for Cromodora 14 inch wheels...

Post by RevDave »

Strange request, but here goes... I once purchased a brand new ALFA spider that had the noisiest tires that I've ever experienced on any car. As best I can recall they were "all-season" tires and I remember thinking that the more agressive tread was probably responsible for the noise. Frankly, at anything over about 30 mph, they had a "whine" to them that was truly obnoxious! (No doubt that the fact that it was a roadster made that issue more obvious that it would have been in a coupe or hatchback.)

Now that I've seen the light and purchased an '82 Fiat Spider, I'm gonna be in need of some new tires. I'm wanting to stay with the stock wheels - which are 14 inch Cromadora wheels like on the turbo cars. I will NEVER be driving in the snow, and will also avoid rain whenever possible, but was wondering what you folks could recomend in the way of a good quality, semi-performance tire for those rims that are also reasonably quiet?

Also, what size would you recommend for these rims? Can I go a bit wider than stock without rubbing the fenders or suspension?

Thanks - Dave
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Re: Good, quiet tires for Cromodora 14 inch wheels...

Post by rlux4 »

I also consulted the forum when it was time for new tires. I ended up getting Kumho brand, "732 Touring Plus". Mine are stock size 185/60 on my 14" Turbo wheels. They were reasonably priced, and I'm very happy with thier performance. They ride as smooth as silk and have no road whine.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Post by baltobernie »

The Sumitomo HTR 200 is a very quiet tire. Omnidirectional, H-rated, summer-only, inexpensive from Tire Rack. Made in Japan, even has both red and yellow dots for optimal mounting. Can't help you with sizing, I have 13's on my '73
Leesfer

Post by Leesfer »

The turbos are 14x5.5 and I believe, as for width, you can use a 195 or even a 205
kristoj
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat Spider 2000 Turbo

Post by kristoj »

I have the 14" Turbo wheels as well and recently went with the Falkens http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direc ... d=14&ar=60.

I have about 1,000 miles on them and they are very quiet -- even on the freeway.
John
'82 Fiat Spider Turbo
'56 Abarth 750 GT Corsa MM
'59 Lancia Appia GTE Zagato
'62 Lancia Flaminia 2.5 3C Convertible
'68 Lancia Fulvia Sport Zagato
'70 Moretti Sportiva S2
'12 Abarth 500
'59 MV Agusta 250 Raid

Pictures of my baby!
ROOK1

Post by ROOK1 »

I don’t know the quality of these tires but they have good reviews and the price is right.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... es&place=3
peter

Post by peter »

I noticed on a reply that a 205 would be ok, how about a 215 ?? any info on this ??
Leesfer

Post by Leesfer »

peter wrote:I noticed on a reply that a 205 would be ok, how about a 215 ?? any info on this ??

I'm not sure about a 215, the 205 is pushing it with quite the bulge... My car has 195 and the look is great, I like a wider tore look and it fits well