FI Combination relay test

General chat about the car goes in here.
smfinley

FI Combination relay test

Post by smfinley »

OK,

I think I have found my lack of fuel problem I asked about earlier. This is what I found and wanted to check to see if other people agree with my logic.

I have 12V power at the two incoming sources of the combo relay (Brown wire and brown/white wire. Looks like brown is for the fuel injectors and brown/white is for the fuel pump. I also have power at the red/black wire when the ignition is on. I do not however get power coming out of the green/black wire that goes to the pump when the ignition is on, or anytime for that matter. Sounds like a bad relay to me.

Any other thoughts? Something you can think of I missed? I have a relay ordered, but if there is something else I may be missing I would like to find it before I try the relay.

Thanks for your help,
Scott
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

with the ign "on", you won't have power to the pump until the AFM flap opens. You should have power to the pump when the engine is cranking.
Here's what the FI book says for testing the pump circuit of the relay;
connect test light between terminals 88y and 85 of relay. Turn ign switch on. Test light should come on. If light does not come on check fuse and wiring to relay.

to test for ouput voltage to the pump;
connect a test light between 88d and ground. Operate the starter, test light should light.
While the book doesn't give wire color, it uses circuit #s. It looks like 86a is from the ign, 88y is from ign, 86c and 88z are power in
smfinley

Post by smfinley »

Thanks again Mark,

The diagram I have shows the 88d to be the green/black that runs to the pump. When I crank the motor it does not come on. Sounds like the relay is faulty. Thanks for the info. What is the name of the FI book, looks like I need one.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

it's the Fiat FI Maintenance and Troubleshooting book. I think it may be available online, maybe at mirafiori.com. I can't check the pump circuit number since I'm at home now.
kimu

Post by kimu »

FI diagnostic manual:

Get it here:
http://fiat.nng.ca/Pictures/Resources/FI DiagMaintenanace.pdf
smfinley

Post by smfinley »

Thanks for the help. I replaced the relay today and she started right up.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

congrats!