Spring Compressors?

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
KRegester

Spring Compressors?

Post by KRegester »

The front springs are getting to be a real pain in the axle.
My spring compressor doesn't seem to fit on the outside.

I don't see how they can fit on the inside after removing the shocks.
Does anyone have a specific model they use?
Will these fit?

I have already pulled and cleaned/painted the rear springs and seats. My outside style spring compressor made it pretty easy to do. After they were out and cleaned and painted, I compressed them on the bench just enough to get them back in and used 3 industrial grade tie wraps (rated for over 300lbs each) evenly spaced around the spring to keep them partially compressed. After installed, I used a floor jack to lift the rear axle enough to slightly recompress the springs, then I cut the tie wraps and it went like a charm. They stayed in the seats, no scratched up paint.

The front has me stymied, I need to remove them to replace the upper and lower control arms (brand new ones waiting).
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Re: Spring Compressors?

Post by mdrburchette »

The second picture is basically what Ron used to compress my front springs. He made the spring compressor out of two plates of steel and a threaded rod.
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!
KRegester

Post by KRegester »

Very good, thanks!
I hadn't thought about using steel plates. I have a bunch of all-thread in the shop, may have to try that.
bradartigue
Your car is a: 1970 Sport Spider

Post by bradartigue »

The external type work (the first picture), the internal ones like you show in the second aren't worth the effort. I use some slightly different looking external ones, they tend to compress the spring into a curve which is actually handy when install the front end. You don't need compressors for the rear.
JeremyB

Post by JeremyB »

I used the internal ones of the front end. The were a bitch to get out once finished. But it worked. Arent the external ones actaully strut compressors?
racydave

Post by racydave »

I used the external ones also, wasnt easy. Be carefull with the all-thread, the metal may not be hardened, and you would not want to launch a spring! They can cause alot of damage.
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

Many of the parts supply houses like AutoZone lend internal spring compressors. I used one from AutoZone that was excelent quality and very safe. Had to leave a hefty deposit with them but it was completely refunded when I returned the compresssor. I had a front spring compressor pop off and injured my hand years ago. Compressing suspension springs and springs under compression can be extreamly hazardous. I would only use an approved tool for this job. External spring compressors are not the correct tool. Make sure the car is high enough for the "A" arm to swing all the way down and don't forget to loosen the swing bolt nuts so it can swing freely after spring is compressed.
Good luck
Hjulenx
Your car is a: 81 Fiat Spider

Post by Hjulenx »

I also used the internal type rented from AutoZone. The system that I came up with was using the bottom 'hooks' underneath the control arm and the tops hooks as far up in the spring as I could. The thread for the compressor was too long, so I used a big socket as a spacer to keep it from hitting the sheet metal.
James
'81 Fiat Spider