Speakers

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
Danno

Speakers

Post by Danno »

I went to crutchfield and they say the "front door" takes 5.25" or 4" speakers and that the "Rear Seat Side Panels" take 5.25" speakers.

Now, help me out here. the speakers for the front REALLY are just in those map pockets in the kickpanel, not the door right? and what size are they?

I saw no factory location for rears, am I right? what have people done for rear speakers back there?
spiderrey
Your car is a: 70 124 spider-74x19-03 ranger edge

Post by spiderrey »

i built a box and installed 2 6x9s, way back in 79.
kris

Post by kris »

hey Danno, I'm from Belgium so I'll do my best to explain how I did it.
I have a 1971 spider and had the same problem.
I've built in the speakers in the panels next to the back seat. There's just enough space next to the speakers. If you fold the top open, the roof doesn't touch the speakers. I took some pictures, but I have no idea how I can post them. If you want I can always sent them true by e-mail.
It's just a suggestion, but it gives a nice result and sound.

Hope that this can help you,
greetings,
Kris.
Danno

Post by Danno »

sure, kris. email them to danielreinhardt@msn.com and I'll post them too!
Danno

Post by Danno »

Kris' speakers! (they look good Kris)
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

Mine are mounted in the rear quarter panels too, but are almost touching the seat bottom.
Danno

Post by Danno »

it's just that something seems wrong about speakers without enclosed rears....I guess it seems there aren't a lot of options though.
Hjulen

Post by Hjulen »

I have my rear speakers exactly as the pictures show. The big thing I would be worried about is moisture getting in and messing up the speakers electrically.

Of course you could always just cover the backs with plastic! I imagine it wouldnt be too hard to cut something out of some hard plastic lying around the house.
kris

Post by kris »

I took off the cover Danno to show you the speaker :)
I jused a plastic cup that we had in the kitchen, painted it black...and voila.
Amazing what you can find in a kitchen to use in your car :shock:

greets,
Kris.
Mad-Machine

Post by Mad-Machine »

any automotive audio shop will have rear covers for speakers that might be subject to moisture.
dominik

Spider in Sound

Post by dominik »

Hi at all,

at first, I have to say sorry for my bad English. I´m from germany and not used to speak this language.

I had the same problem with my ´85 Spider. The system, which was built in was bad an damaged. So, I did search for a long time to find a soundsytem which you can´t see. The visuality must be original. The sound should be well balanced between the front and rearspeakers.

I didn´t find a good compromize. So I went to a car-audio-dealer ( http://www.ars-stuttgart.de ). In his experience he advised me against, to build in some backspeakers. Instead of these fullrangespeakers he would place some woofers.

At least I built some GFK-boxes for the speakers. In front a 2-way 16cm midrange with extra tweeter. Behind the seats, 2 25cm woofer. Powered by a 5 channel amplifier. The system is completly active! The crossover is in the radio.

And it playes very, very great! :D

For farther information, you can visit in the forum from http://www.fiat-spider.de under "bastelecke" topic "sound im Spider". There is my report about the experience with my homebuild soundsytem. It plays really great. Or send me an mail. Then I will send you the pdf. But, the text is completly in German.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Hi Dominik

That looks awesome!

Here is another solution though that someone on sportspider.co.uk found

E-bay item 8044072958

No cutting in the front fender required.
fiat4me

Post by fiat4me »

I don't think the question was ever answred, are the front speakers supposed to be 4" or 5.25"? I need to go up and get speakers and a stereo this weekend but won't get my car back till tuesday.

Thanks!