1980 FI Spider - no start & possible seized engine (photos)

Gotta love that wiring . . .
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Re: 1980 FI Spider - no start & possible seized engine (photos)

Post by rlux4 »

You got it. Also, the rocking motion works the crank both ways, so it should work. Good luck.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

check out this product, it might be just what you need;
http://www.enginerelease.com
pope

Post by pope »

It looks like that product comes with a large mallet to hit your pistons with. LOL
NickSpider

Post by NickSpider »

did anyone else notice that in the seize release ad they can't even spell percent right, they spell it per cent and I am guessing thats how they weasle out of your refund as well. They claim a 100 per cent refund if it doesn't work, no where does it say 100% or 100 percent. What level of education did they receive?
bradartigue
Your car is a: 1970 Sport Spider

Post by bradartigue »

All this talk of a wrench!

Pull the plugs
Spray WD40 all inside the holes
Jack up the rear passenger side tire
Put the car in 5th gear
Turn the passenger side tire

The motor should turn easily. If not, begin cursing. Let the WD-40 sit for a while then try again, spray again, eventually curse a lot if it is frozen.
NickSpider

Post by NickSpider »

goyal99 wrote:
rlux4 wrote:!st gear would give you more solid tansfer of motion than 4th or 5th. Just be gentle, it could end up putting a lot of force on your stuck rings.
Ron
Okay, thanks for the explanation Ron....I will try in top gear first just to be on the gentle side of things! :)
Although I've already put all my muscle strength behind my 32" breaker bar at the crank a few times already and nothing moved... :( Maybe the rocking motion with the car in gear will provide a stronger mechanical force.

VK

did you ever get the engine freed up, I am running into the same issue, except mine is a 75 carbed, been in storage for 26 years, just dropped the fuel tank off to get it relined, and get the neck on the radiator replaced. On another forum someone mentioned to use an impact wrench to take the bolt out, but i am guessing the impact wrench could be used to free the engine up as well?
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

impact wrench won't do it, unless it's not stuck at all and even then won't really turn the engine