Lights dimming ?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
riderrich

Lights dimming ?

Post by riderrich »

Has anyone had or have an issue with all there lights starting out very bright while driving and then get very dim for the next 10 to 20 miles and then go back bright? I have been having this issue for the last few days. I kinda think it could be a grounding issue, possibly the engine ground to the chassis, but not sure.
Any clues to this would be a very big welcome.
mbouse

Re: Lights dimming ?

Post by mbouse »

Ha! i haven't seen enough driving time this year to warrant lights....

have you added a ground strap between the engine block and the inner fender wall yet? might wanna consider doing that to eliminate this from your list of suspects.

however, i'd be more inclined to say the alt is failing, unless you see a direct result of the dim lights and that bump you just ran over in the street.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

trying to do any electrical diagnosis without a voltmeter is like searching for Bin Laden while blindfolded
pope

Post by pope »

Before you examine the car, were you coming home from the bar the night the lights went out in Allegan? Twenty minutes seems to be almost exactly the amount of time to take full effect. But on the other hand...it could be the car.

These guys will steer you right. Good Luck
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

by the way, richard.

Not found a clock for you yet, but...I have your black vinyl for your doors.... when are you coming down to get it? Or, would you like me to hand it to you in person this Saturday in Lowell? You are, of course, attending the Covered Bridges Tour... right?

http://flumichigan.italiancarclub.com/ Scroll down and take a look at the event listed for May 24th. I will pay for your day membership to FLU.