engine cooling fan

Gotta love that wiring . . .
FMO

Re: engine cooling fan

Post by FMO »

Hi!

Thanks for the answer. Yes, the thermostat is ok, and the lower hose at the radiator is getting warm. So I supose you are right, the radiator is the clue here. :-)
So now I need to find an another one :(

regards

Fred Michel
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Post by rlux4 »

FMO, being in Norway, you'd probably have to ship one in. How about a shop that will rod yours out, or worst case, put a new core in for you?
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
Tappy
Your car is a: 124 spider 2000 1979

Post by Tappy »

Hi Guys

Ignition problem solved , now the other problems line up ,

I'm not sure my cooling system works like it should
If the car runs for few minutes the temp gauge goes up , far beond 190° but the fan doesnt come on , if installed a manual overide switch on the sensor of the radiator and when i swich it radiator works but... temp doesn't drop really (stationairy running engine ) ive notiched that the fan blows air awai from the radiator is this correct , is it to suck air into the radiator ? the radiator has 2 wires black and blue , the blue one is conected to the + the black goes from the sensor to the ground -

1) the water in the radiator is getting hot , so i suppose the water pump works ? but the upper radiator hose doesn't seem to be filled with water , i see no movement in the expansion bottle

2) if not switched manually the fan doesn't come on till far over 190° @ wich temp should the fan be activated ?

3)Can it be that there is air in the system ? for burping i leave the radiator cap open and let the car run ? or do i need something else to look @ ?

thanks for your help
FineItalianAutomobile TechnologyImage

pls don't see what i write , read what i mean
pauljdav

Post by pauljdav »

The fan in my car does not come on at 190. It comes on above that. I am not certain the gauge is the most accurate tool. There are a couple of ways to check the real temp. One is to get an infra red temp tool, the other is to used special wax pens that melt at certain temps. You simply "write" the pen onto the head where the water inlet is and if it melts then it is above the temp, if it does not then you are under that temp.

These are available at auto part shops for pretty cheap.

Good luck.
Paul
Tappy

Post by Tappy »

he thanks , didn't know that those pens existed

However problem is solved bye burping , do i have to repeat this ? fan comes on for a few seconds goes off aigain back on etc

is this a sign that there is stil air in the system ? do i need to put the screw on the t piece back in when water squirts out of the t piece (on top of the motor)

any other hints or tips to get all air out of the system ?

So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

if the temp climbs quickly after starting, the water is not circulating. if running the fan doesn't bring the temp down, the water is not circulating. This could be due to the thermostat not opening, the radiator being plugged, or the water pump not working. To completely fill the cooling system and remove air, remove one of the choke water hoses and fill it there with the radiator cap on or if the car is FI, use one of the small hoses that go to the throttle body heater.

The fan should come on at 195 and cool the temp down to 180-185
Tappy

Post by Tappy »

ok i'm losing it here , still , just wrote an 1 h repost and zapped it right away :cry: :cry:

after the fan wouldn t come on , now i would'nt go off

i've topped up the cooling water til water squirted out of the T-piece on top of the engine , while squirtingive put the screw back in

I have a dual weber idf setup so no choke lines to fill ? nope
the fan blows air but not to the radiator but away from it correctthe radiator cap seems to fit

the upper radiator hose doesnt seems to be filled with water

i've seen a + and a - on the radiator fan , connected it from the + to the blue wire (+) and the - to the sensor and so on to the ground (lake artigues pages)
but doesn't it suppose to blow towards the radiator ? yesdoes the radiator cap suppose to fit ?

how can i test that my water pump stil works ? should'nt the upper radiator be filled with water and under some kind of pressure ? i did run without the expansion bottle cap off , or does that dont make a difference ?

engine gets hot after 5-6 minutes , but when the fan comes on it seems to not heat any further , however the car is running stationairy

Linc

Post by Linc »

Let me just chime in about how important it is too have a well fitting (new) radiator cap. Once you have everything else checked out and working, if you still notice a problem, and there isn't a leak, I'd suggest buying a new radiator cap. I did that once and it made a world of difference. All the hoses jumped to life. The Fiat has a pressurized system and if the pressure isn't just right, the system will never work as designed. I had inspected the cap, but couldn't tell the difference.

Linc
Tappy

Post by Tappy »

Thanks for the heads up

fixet the problems in the meantime , some air in the system , followd bye a broken themoswitch , bad closing radiator cap (touched the clam for the overflow botle hose , kept it slichtly open) ; on top of that a badly connected temp sensor in the motorhead 'so the meter , did work, didn't work, overworked ) after all that was all fixed i took her for a spin , about 20 km from home , @ the washstation , one of the radiatorhoses exploded :twisted: