Desert FLU 9th Annual "Gita"

Shows, meets, organized drives, club info
johndemar
Your car is a: 1976 Fiat 124 Spider

Desert FLU 9th Annual "Gita"

Post by johndemar »

Every year for the last 9 the Desert FLU, based in the Phoenix Metro area has sponsored a New Year's Day drive.
This year the "gita" (gee-ta) will start at the Tertio cafe at 3580 N 7th Street in Phoenix at 8:30 AM.

It's always been a fun event of driving with a bit of scavenger hunt thrown in. Last year the drive/hunt lasted approximately 3 hours and ending at Airpark Fiat in Scottsdale where lunch was served and prizes for everyone. My wife even asked me if we were going to do it again this year.

If you're in the Phoenix area it's certainly worth checking out, just make sure your up in time on January 1st.

Contact information should be directed to Eric Lynn at elynn1@cox.net.

You don't have to be a member of FLU or even have a running Fiat to participate.
76 Fiat 124 Spider
One owner since July 20, 1976
Amadio Motor, Jeannette, PA
azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Re: Desert FLU 9th Annual "Gita"

Post by azruss »

Couldn't talk my wife into it, but I did talk my daughter into it. Now if I can just get my exhaust system repaired by then :roll:
garion
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by garion »

Damn, my Spider isn't up to snuff yet.. Between the shock towers that still need replacing (I have the new towers, need a welder and learn how to weld.), and the bad seat, there's no way I could survive 3 hours in it.

Maybe next year for me?
--John
1978 Fiat 124 Spider (for sale soon)
1979 Fiat 124 Spider
2007 Audi A4
Blog: http://www.technobabelfish.com
johndemar

Post by johndemar »

azruss wrote:Couldn't talk my wife into it, but I did talk my daughter into it. Now if I can just get my exhaust system repaired by then :roll:
It does help to have a navigator to monitor the ipad, iphone, camera, to help find your way around and document the journey.

Does Arizona require an exhaust system? :)
76 Fiat 124 Spider
azruss

Post by azruss »

Does Arizona require an exhaust system? :)
My sanity requires an exhaust system. I getting a new one sent from Ramzi. Just have to figure out what will work. Should be done in time. John, thanks for the heads up on the Gita filling up. I e-mailed eric this afternoon.
AJFiat
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider

Post by AJFiat »

We just purchased a 1979 Spider and hoping to make it but we might have to bring the Dakota Convertible instead. The Spider just might now be road worthy enough yet to make it all the way from the East Valley let alone down to the Emissions Test so we can register it.

It's been interesting going through the board and websites trying to figure this beast out. Testing and soldering the circuit boards for the lights. Tracing a ground hooked up to the positive on the front turn light. Trying to find seats to fit.

So we have lights except the dash lights. The car runs but the previous owner changed the timing belt and didn't install the timing cover so now I can't time it. He also installed a different carb and air cleaner so there's a half dozen hoses blocked off or not connected yet that I have to trace back.

But she is a cute car. :)
azruss

Post by azruss »

ADOT does not require an emissions test on a car this old. They didnt even want a safety check. just went in with the title and classic car insurance and i was good to go.
AJFiat
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider

Post by AJFiat »

Thanks to all of the organizers and sponsors for an excellent event. Just what I needed to kick start me into getting our Fiat restored and on the road.
azruss

Post by azruss »

The Gita was fabulous fun with great weather. It was fun to meet you, AJ, and as you can see that we could use some reinforcements in the 124 ranks as John and I were the only representatives. It did earn us VIP parking for the lunch :wink: It was also great double teaming with the Demars. How often do you get to drive around with the tone of a nice ansa exhaust in front of you or a very clean banana yellow spider in my rear view mirror. It was very special spending the day with my daughter. We tried to decide when the last time we did a father/daughter thing and decided it was never. With 2 teenagers at home, her life is a endless stream of soccer mom type duties. She really appreciated the break. Her very first car was a 71 coupe that required the windows to be down so she wouldnt die of asphyxiation. She also did all the wrenching on the car. She also brought her high performance, turbo charged, hi rez, point and shoot Nikon. I will post pix as soon as she gets them to me.
Thanks to all that organized the event. I will definitely be back next year.
azruss

Post by azruss »

johndemar

Post by johndemar »

Thank Jill for her camera work.
76 Fiat 124 Spider