ignition problem

Gotta love that wiring . . .
Tappy
Your car is a: 124 spider 2000 1979

ignition problem

Post by Tappy »

Hey guys , did it again :cry:

I did some rewiring on my spider , and ofcorse it wouldt start @ first , seemed like i i did some bad rewiring , espacialy to the coil switched the poles there , gave me some smoke @ the coil and the ditributor cap

However i let cool down , rewired it correctly , and the car did run for over 5 min or so , then i had to shut it down becouse the waterpump doesn't seem to work (after the flushing discussed in another post , i probably get back on that after i fixed this )

Now the ony thing the coil does is getting hot , very hot i screwed out a spark plug , but i see no more sparks :( , i dont understand this becouse it has run like 5 min ago ...

Is the coil getting hot i sign that it works? how can i check this ? should i look in the distributor cap ? (nota i dont know how to adjust timing on the egnition )

all help welcome i got a few hours to fix it before my future wife comes home and i really dont want to tell her i f*cked it up , again (this shuld be our marriage car in a few weeks )

so pls help :oops:
FineItalianAutomobile TechnologyImage

pls don't see what i write , read what i mean
Tappy

Re: ignition problem

Post by Tappy »

did some research i placed an ohmmeter between the b+ and d connector on the coil ,all other cables disconected , te ohmmeter reads 3.5 Ohm so i guess this too much , probably burnd trouhg wirein the coil ?

if im right this is the primary winding and it should be between 0.75 and 0.81 ohms ?

the other thing i tested was one of the contacts b+ to the middle wire (highvoltage wire) i mesured 7600 ohms there if i'm right this should be 10.000 tot 11.000 ohms

can someone confirm that the coil needs replacin ?

thx

Tappy

Post by Tappy »

Problem still not solved :(

first i'll discibe what i have , i have a coil , no control module , and a dizzy mounted on the cam so i think this is a breaker point ignition system.

I'll explain as good as posible what i did :

*i've tested the power when ignition switch is on , and theres 12v going to the + of the coil , so far so good
*i've also tested one of the sparkplugs out of the motor , grounded the shell and test started , no spark :(

so i did some extra test with a lamp bulp to determ what could be wrong

normaly when you connect a bulp to the - of the coil , and the other wire of the bulp to the - of your car and you try to start the light should go on andof rapidly ( get back on this one later**) i tested it but the lamp wouldn't go on

theres power on the + from the coil so that is not the problem either

could be that the distributor lopes dont open , but i opend the distributor cap , and cranked the motor a bit till they where open ** here it comes , the testlamp does not light , not even with the points opend ?? the coil gets hot also with the lopes opend ??

cansombody help me i realy losing it , not mensionning the future wife...

mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

Is it a points distributor or electronic, Tappy? You have a 79 model, coreect? If you had smoke coming from the distributor, I'm wondering if you've got a faulty pickup coil (electronic). I can't help you on the coil ohm readings since my books don't go over 1972.
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!
Tappy

Post by Tappy »

a point distributor ...