1980 Spider 2000 Loose connection??? Bad Ground???

Gotta love that wiring . . .
jwitikko

1980 Spider 2000 Loose connection??? Bad Ground???

Post by jwitikko »

OK, so this is strange. I was driving the car down the road andhti a few bumps. The car lights dimmed, the radio went off. The car began to stall. I hit another bump and everything came back on.

I parked in my sisters drive way and turned the car off. Came back out after 2 hours, nothing. I could not start it and the radio/head lights woudl not come on.

We used my Tahoe to tow it home with a strap. After hitting a few more bumps, with the keys in the on position, suddenly, the radio came back on and I started it right up.

Where is the best place to look for the issue. Now, its in the garage, and again, no power.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

check the harness connector about 6 inches from the ignition switch. You may find the connector loose or the brown wire burned in the connector. Of course, also check the two battery cables at the battery and the ground connection from the left side of the underbody to the bellhousing
jwitikko

Post by jwitikko »

THanks! I'll give it a shot tonight.
jwitikko

Post by jwitikko »

Well,

Something worked, they only trouble is, I'm note sure which it was. I also had to replace the battery. Once I had gone in and made sure all the connections were good both inside the car and at the starter, i decided to jump it. She started right up after sitting for 6 months. I have a new battery now and it seems to do the trick. Although, the right blinker does not work any more.... Must be a short somewhere else. Hey, at least she is up and running.

Thanks!
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

it's usually not shorts that attack Spiders, it's corroded ground connections. For the rear light, check the base of the bulb. It may be loose in the socket or corroded. Any connections that you clean should be treated with dielectric grease to protect them