TURN SIGNAL PUZZLE

Gotta love that wiring . . .
blusmith
Your car is a: 1982 124 spyder

TURN SIGNAL PUZZLE

Post by blusmith »

I have an 82 spider nearly complete again after restoration;
Wiring was a mess and I am left with this problem after buying new flaher unit and hazard switch inserting new bulbs etc:
1) tail and brake lights and park lights work fine
2) when hazards are on the front indicator lights flash OK BUT the rear tail lights and side markers flash with them even tho' there is no wirng connection
3) turn indicators do not work at all.
Earths are all brand new and solid
Questions: Is the FIAT flasher unit unique I just got mine from my auto-electrician ?
What do I do to improve the rear circuit boards - I have cleaned and checked them all bulbs light up appropriately when powerd one by one ?
Is the column switch serviceable or do I ditch it and get a new one from Csaba?
azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Re: TURN SIGNAL PUZZLE

Post by azruss »

I just got done doing my circuit boards. they looked in great condition but i found that the rivit connections between the socket and the board were not connecting good. I had to solder them to the board to get them to work. I also cleaned the ground connection on the taillight and it still wasnt good enough. I ended up moving it to the stud that holds the gas lid spring bracket. The flashing of the side lights is confirmation of a bad ground as it is going thru those lights for ground. The steering column switch is servicable. just remove the 2 piece cover and clean all the contacts.
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

Adding a ground wire to the negative battery cable's attach point to the body in the trunk makes an excellent ground. It is a little far from the original ground for tail lights in the trunk but should make a perfect ground for your lights and fuel pump.

I agree the with soldering the PC board connections. It takes time to clean the light sockets in the area where they contact the PC board. The socket and the PC copper must be very clean for the solder to work. I use solder for electric circuits and pre-clean with a flux that is for electric circuit soldering. The solder iron has to be pretty big like 50 watt and it's tip goes on the light socket transferring heat through the socket to the PC copper. After soldering clean everything with a fast evaporating cleaner like alcohol or brake cleaner. Leaving flux on a solder connection only invites corrosion. The original rivets only help the light socket tight to the board copper to make the contact and give the socket mount physical strength. Over the years the rivet loosens and or corrosion builds up between the copper and the light socket. This causes dim and or intermittent operation.
blusmith
Your car is a: 1982 124 spyder

Post by blusmith »

Thanks . Will do the earth link as you recommend and get busy sanding and soldering.