Third ignition in a year

Gotta love that wiring . . .
crasch

Third ignition in a year

Post by crasch »

Hi - After moving my Spider from SoCal to SoFla I ran into a real problem getting key blanks for the original ignition, and it kept bending them so they only lasted months sometimes. It was recommended I get a new ignition. I had a Rekardo installed (at least that is the name on the key).
My first one lasted 2 years, the replacement only 2 months; they keep burning out. Smell bad like burning crayons/plastic and the key begins to get difficult to turn until it stops working.

-any suggestions?

thanks,
Craig

'79 Spider 2000
(salvage title turned daily driver)
dmwhiteoak
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 spider

Re: Third ignition in a year

Post by dmwhiteoak »

Install some relays and keep all that current out of the switch.
Dennis Modisette

1972 124 Spider
2003 Chevrolet Z71
2007 GMC Yucon
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

Maybe one of the vendors could comment here on after market ignition switches.
I believe the original Fiat ignition switch contacts wire molded in a material that had a higher melting temp then some of the aftermarket ignition switches that are now available. There seems to be quite a few posts here about intermittent or failed replacement ignition switches.
There are some things I believe could contribute to ignition switch failures. Installing accessories like high current sound systems and more powerful and brighter headlights, Changing tail lights brake lights and running lights to brighter bulbs, old windshield wiper and fan motors that now draw more current than they did when new.
I now drive my Spider about 6000 miles a year I bought the car in 2003 so I am not sure the ignition switch is original but I am pretty sure it is of the original type and does not have the plastic insides. To help preserve the ignition switch I have installed relays in the headlight, starter, and wiper circuits. This eliminates a lot of current through the ignition switch. I realize this is not the route someone would go if they are trying to keep the car in an original state.
divace73
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat 124 Spider Silver

Post by divace73 »

dmwhiteoak is correct, the original design has all the current running through the ign switch. The original can be pulled apart and cleaned then place relays in place to take the heavy loads away from the ign. By the way you can get blank keys from http://www.keys4classics.com/html/Fiat124Sp.html
Cheers David
-=1980 silver Fiat 124 Spider=-
If you want to see pics of my car (and other random stuff) >>click here<< OR
see my >>You tube channel<<
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Post by TX82FIAT »

Correct on all fronts. install relays to compensate for large current through switch. Specifically stay away from Russian switches. I have the original ignition switch in my 82, have installed relays and still carry a spare ignition switch with me at all times based on previous Spiders I've owned. Spare ignition switch is in the box next to the spare hazzard switch with a bunch of fuses and electrical tape.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
JEEPER
Your car is a: 1979 SPIDER

Post by JEEPER »

Look at the post 79 Parting Out. See what he wants and ask if he knows if it's an O E M switch.
SpecialTool

Post by SpecialTool »

I bought a '75 in March that I use as a daily driver/rolling resto. I noticed on my switch there is some printing embossed in Cyrillic (Russian) that looks like it says "made in Russia". My keys are funny looking too. My switch turns about half way around to start and gets stuck. I have to wiggle it and do a rain dance on the third Thursday during the first full moon of the month sometimes to get past so I can start her up. Other times it almost goes around without a hitch. So, yeah, stay away from the Russian ones.