need new ignition coil for 81fi spider 2000

Gotta love that wiring . . .
topbuddy

need new ignition coil for 81fi spider 2000

Post by topbuddy »

My current coil has tested bad, it is a Marelli AE1200A with a primary of 0.75 to 0.81 ohms and a primary of 10,000 to 11,000 ohms secondary. Does anyone know where I can find one or a suitable replacement? thanks
ORFORD2004
Your car is a: 1983 PININFARINA

Re: need new ignition coil for 81fi spider 2000

Post by ORFORD2004 »

Got one out of my 83
topbuddy

Post by topbuddy »

Would you sell it to me and if so how much?
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

So does coil operate?? Why are you changing it??? Ohms readings not always what they seem........coils rarely fail.
' Keith
topbuddy

Post by topbuddy »

I have changed the pickup coil and the control module, there is also no ohm reading from the coil, and I have very next to no spark from the coil when the engine is turned over. If it does start it dies almost right after however it only starts after sitting for a while and even then it is intermittent.
vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Post by vandor »

Are you sure the magnet under the pickup coil is installed the right way? There is a line on one side and the instructions show where that should go (up or down).

If you need a coil the MSD Blaster2 is usually available locally and will work.
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town
topbuddy

Post by topbuddy »

Hi Vander, thanks for the advise. The car did run for a day, enough for me to go shopping and back home and later that day it started, then stopped and has been that way since. I usually do my own maintenance, but in this case, the car had previously quit in a garage while being safetied and I had it back in two days with a new pickup coil and control module, this was when I took it shopping and it quit later as I have said. So will the car run if the pickup coil magnet is in wrong and then quit or is it a no run situation? the coil is suspect because initially in the garage the mechanic could not get a spark or reading from it, a locally installed coil was wrong so he put the old one back and it did run. It is still in now and not running. I am out 500 and very confused. Is there a chance that I could have a problem with the fuel injection sensors as well? Any ideas about where I could find the coil you recommend? Thanks

This is frustrating as we are full timers in a Winnie and towing the Fiat on a flat bed, we are planning on leaving Ontario to head West in mid Aug all the way to the coast then winter in southern US, so really need the car.
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

You need to start at the begining. Do you have spark, if so, do you have fuel?? If you do not know how to check those let me know.
Keith
topbuddy

Post by topbuddy »

Hi:

The spark has been intermittent and that is why it is suspect. I have a new coil coming tomorrow, so will know then just what is up, if the car runs then I am right about the coil, if not then I will need some advice re the FI system.
topbuddy

Post by topbuddy »

Well, it doesn't seem to be a coil problem after all. A new Blaster 2 coil came yesterday, and was installed so have spark. The car started, ran 6-8 seconds then quit. After that it would only turn over and not catch until I let the car sit for some time. It acts like it is not getting fuel after the initial CSI burst of fuel. Does anyone have any idea where I should start to look to get my car back running?
Sam