Just replaced starter, now the car won't start.

Gotta love that wiring . . .
FirstSpider

Just replaced starter, now the car won't start.

Post by FirstSpider »

So, not too long ago my Starter went and I endured the frustrating process of replacing it. I completed that project and also replaced my battery. Now whenever I try to start it I get this weird whirring/humming noise. I don't even know where to look. Any ideas? Thanks.
3wheelernut

Re: Just replaced starter, now the car won't start.

Post by 3wheelernut »

If you were to imagine the way a starter works would it seem the new starter was spinning without engaging the flywheel/flex plate of the engine? It could be you have a starter that's bad. I know a new one shouldn't be a problem but the whirring sounds to me like the starter is spinning but not cranking the engine. I know starters used to need to be shimmed to sit straight and make good contact, not sure what starter you have or where you got it.

As goofy as it sounds did you try smacking it with a hammer? Id replace it back to the store you got it from myself, but a good whack may solve, at least temporarily, your problem. Not sure why they do it but Ive had bad starters right out of the box before.

I hope this helps.
FirstSpider

Post by FirstSpider »

I got my Starter from NAPA. It's supposed to have been rebuilt. I'm afraid of hitting it.
Tobi

Post by Tobi »

I had to replace my starter several times because the reconditioned starters are mostly bad. The next one is going to be a gear reduction starter from one of the vendors. The only way to get a brand new starter these days.
azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Post by azruss »

This is most likely a solenoid issue and the bendex drive is not engaging the ring gear. looks like you will need to pull the starter again. when you get the replacement, bench test it to see if the bendix drive works.
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

Hmmm, what was wrong with original starter??? Are you sure it was bad?? Has the current starter ever worked??
FirstSpider

Post by FirstSpider »

Thanks for all your replies. The original starter worked for a while, but it was iffy. The Bendix finally went and I got the replacement in. the replacement never worked, I'm going to exchange it today.