Right side Headlight

Gotta love that wiring . . .
3wheelernut

Right side Headlight

Post by 3wheelernut »

Ok. Heres my $500.00 backyard score, complete with brand new 15" Monzas in Hyperblack from Allison, and Nexen 195/50/15 tires. That's the good side, theres a good dent on the other fender and the top has some duct tape on it, BUT its d@m% FUN! :twisted:

Introductions aside, I have been chasing the only electrical issue the car has for some time. Its the right side high and low beam. Or sometimes just one or the other. I guess it depends on mood. I have checked all the wires on D,E,F,and C on the fuse block, chased all the wires, swapped fuses, dreamed of the relay upgrade and squinted all the way home a couple times after dark. :roll: I added new headlights 2 nights ago, ran it 44 miles from Chesterfield NJ, right past Mastoris to Furlong,Pa even stopped and ran a 6 foot 7 inch stranger (poor guy was trying to talk on his phone too) to get gas off of 95S to the Levittown exit, It ran great the lights worked beautiful, I thought it was just a bad headlight, even though I switched em around and tinkered with both the plugs. Literally, once we put the gas in his Mazda minivan and he pulled away, the right side blinked out. Couldn't help but laugh, and I have an ad in the paper for a tall person to ride shotgun for me, but until I find the right person does anyone have a suggestion on what I may be missing? I replaced the lights with Sylvania Silver Stars and other than being low to the ground the light was excellent, when both sides were burning. I still had 13volts at idle with all lights, stereo, and phone charger going. Any ideas?

Sorry for the picture, click it and itll give you the whole story. I resized it 3 times and still cant get it to fit. Maybe a little help with that too! LOL :mrgreen:
aj81spider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1974 Fiat 124 Spider

Re: Right side Headlight

Post by aj81spider »

Mine had a left side headlight problem (intermittent) that turned out to be the ground wire. On mine the light is grounded through a wire that has a ring on it and is connected to one of the screws mounting the light. The screw had worked loose so the ring was making poor connection. Not sure if your problem is that, but it's worth a look.

That's a great score for $500!
A.J.

1974 Fiat 124 Spider
2006 Corvette
1981 Spider 2000 (sold 2013 - never should have sold that car)
3wheelernut

Post by 3wheelernut »

Thanks man, I got lucky. Very lucky. No rust, redone in 2000, in California, and then loved here on the east coast. That's the one in a thousand, and Im thankful. I checked the grounds, but after reading the post Im ging to go out and replace both ground wires. I bought new plugs for the headlights so Ill replace them too and do the ground at the same time.
RRoller123
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 FI SPIDER 2000

Post by RRoller123 »

Check here on the forum for posts regarding adding relays for the headlights, as it will brighten them tremendously, and help save your ignition switch too!
'80 FI Spider 2000
'74 and '79 X1/9 (past)
'75 BMW R75/6
2011 Chevy Malibu (daily driver)
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Ext Cab 4WD/STD BED
2002 Edgewater 175CC 80HP 4-Stroke Yamaha
2003 Jaguar XK8
2003 Jaguar XKR
2021 Jayco 22RB
2019 Bianchi Torino Bicycle