BATTERY FLATTENS PUZZLE

Gotta love that wiring . . .
blusmith
Your car is a: 1982 124 spyder

Re: BATTERY FLATTENS PUZZLE

Post by blusmith »

Thanks Keith - I have done that and it is the Black wire that supplies unfused stuff and the in-line fuse. So far I found an after market Oil pressur gauge was "always on" so have fixed that and will follow the daisy chain. Thanks for your patience and time. ( I don't believe the radio is at fault - 6 amp is too big for the circuit that holds the pretuned stations isn't it?) Chris
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

Yup, 6amps is WAY more than radio memory, which will not draw battery down in reasonable time anyway, it is like .01 amp. Again, 6 amps is a LOT, something is ON or WARM and should be pretty obvious, and this concerns me. With that much draw, you should be able to touch the wires together at back of alt and get a fairly good spark, yes?? Six amps should leave your battery stone dead when it sits for a couple hours, does it?? Six amps is not somethign like an oil pressure gauge or radio, this is like a headlight being on, or the heater fan running.
blusmith

Post by blusmith »

HI me again: Have pulled ALL lights out the car ; heater fan is likewise not in circuit;
a) BAttery takes 2 days to flatten
b)I am beginning to wonder if my meter is innaccurate .
c) I.m going to borrow a Milwaukeee heat sensor gun and go searching for "hot" wires
d) Im thinking to reinsatll the old alternator and see if that fixes it .
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

FIgured something fishy going on here........if battery stays up two days you do not have a 6 amp draw. Now you're talking things like RADIO, does the radio come on with key off?? It should not. Trunk light on?? Hmm, I think on my car it only comes on with running lights on.
I would simply unplug whatever wires go to alternator and see if that improves your problem.
Again, does radio come of with key off?
Keith
blusmith

Post by blusmith »

Hi : Your are right both times . The Radio is only on when ignition key is in ; Trunk light is powered from the lighting circuit and I have removed it: Could there be a gremlin leak somewhere in the fuel management system since the Fuel relay is connected directly to the brown wire. I know it's not the fuel pump 'cos I can hear that running when it's on. The Alternator drawas 1 Amp even when its doing nothing - is that all right? ( I recall you talking about leakage throught th field windings ) Chris
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

Alternator should not draw anything, zero zip. But to be frank, I am not sure you are measuring things properly. One amp draw would also kill your battery in less than two days.
Keith
blusmith

Post by blusmith »

HI Keith I think we have fixed some of it , Since fixing the leak through the dodgey oil pressure gauge the battery has lasted 4 days and is still good!! I wonder if my meter is overerading the current but fingers crossed and I'll see how the battery loasts . Thanks for your help Chris