Wiper motor wiring

Gotta love that wiring . . .
SolarImages

Wiper motor wiring

Post by SolarImages »

So i am trying to rewire my wiper motor without the delay unit and the speed unit inline anyone tell me what color wire is the park position and which two wires are the high and low ? thank you for your time in this cheers!
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Re: Wiper motor wiring

Post by spider2081 »

For my 81, there are 3 connectors on the wiper motor.
RED Connector C14 has blue/ white and blue/black wire:
The blue/white is the output from the timer that kicks the wiper motor off of "park" to complete one sweep back to "park"
blue/black is power to the park switch in the wiper motor.

White Connector C15 has blue and gray wire.
blue is slow speed power Gray is high speed power

Black Connector C13 has black and gray/black wires
Black is ground. Gray/black is from the park switch and has power on it from the switch until the switch opens in the park position. It connects back to the "fast slow" switch on the panel.

I think you can just unplug the delay timer and the wipers should work with fast slow and park.
SolarImages

Post by SolarImages »

very cool thank you for your time .. so trying to wire the rig without timer as well as speed switches i opened up the wiper motor itself to look at the wires the green wire is broken off anyone know what that connects to?
SolarImages

Post by SolarImages »

also just looking to remove all the other switches to get high low any help would be great thank you
blurple124
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by blurple124 »

You are in luck, as I am preparing to rewire my car this summer. Before I begin, I have been getting intimately familiar with the wiring diagrams. My greatest struggle was with the wiper motor.

Below is the original wiper wiring, adapted from Brad Artigue's diagrams. Hopefully it is clearer this way.

Your green wire is most likely for your washer pump. It should be pretty easy to tell that it isn't working.

To eliminate the delay, you could just unplug the relay, as spider2081 said. In this scenario, your "delay" position on the column switch would do nothing (but make sure the other end of that red wire is wrapped up so that it doesn't short anything!). Power to the wiper would only happen in the furthest position, or "full". Then speed can be controlled through the dashboard switch. At this point, I don't really see the point of taking the relay out at all, just skip over the delay position.

If you are interested in removing switches, you will probably have to run the "delay" position as "Low Speed" and the "Full" position as "High Speed", as seen below. The only trouble here is that the auto-return switch will not function. Even if you connect it to one of the wiper leads (high or low) it won't behave quite right.

Charlie
1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800 - Antonia
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport