starter just quit working

Gotta love that wiring . . .
santafe308

starter just quit working

Post by santafe308 »

went to start other day with a hot battery an all i get is a single click when i turn the ignition. is the starter gone?
SoFlaFiat

Re: starter just quit working

Post by SoFlaFiat »

More likely the battery, or at least check that first.
RRoller123
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 FI SPIDER 2000

Post by RRoller123 »

There are a couple of heavy plug/jack type connections right near the alternator that need to be clean and well connected. Check them out too. This was the case on mine. And make sure you have a good engine to chassis ground cable somewhere as well, plus the ground from the battery to the chassis must be good.
'80 FI Spider 2000
'74 and '79 X1/9 (past)
'75 BMW R75/6
2011 Chevy Malibu (daily driver)
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Ext Cab 4WD/STD BED
2002 Edgewater 175CC 80HP 4-Stroke Yamaha
2003 Jaguar XK8
2003 Jaguar XKR
2021 Jayco 22RB
2019 Bianchi Torino Bicycle
santafe308

Post by santafe308 »

the neg battery cable is brand new and a larger diameter than the original i tried my best to see if there was any loose connections on the starter being as its in such a tight spot very difficult but all seamed tight from what i could tell. ill have to check those connections from the alternator as well. the alt is new i installed it not long ago.
santafe308

Post by santafe308 »

i found a referb starter at napa auto parts for $54 plus core might just go ahead and get it once funds are available. being as when starter worked it would crank fast sometimes an other times like it was a dead battery, but stop starting for a min to rest and its fast again but now dead in the water.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

if funds are an issue, why not test voltage at the starter before replacing the starter and hoping you found the problem?
santafe308

Post by santafe308 »

well if i have to take carb and intake manifold off to get to starter might as well replace with all the work involved to get to it with any room to work to test. i attempted to look at starter from below and its just to crowed on my 79 tp accurately see what im looking at i see the wires there and tugged on them and seamed tight. but thats a pour way to test.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

why would you remove the intake?
santafe308

Post by santafe308 »

just going off what i read online.
hamlet

Post by hamlet »

Don't take off the intake. There are three bolts on the bell housing you need to get off, one with a universal joint and 2-3 feet of extensions (could be done with 2 probably). They are 13mm bolts. You can disconnect the wires to the starter before or after. I found it easier to do after. The battery should be disconnected during this time, of course.
canadan

Post by canadan »

Nope. there is a coating on the new battery to prevent corrosion during shipping. It does not let electricity to cross.
You need to clean the battery posts and the terminal.
Last edited by canadan on Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
santafe308

Post by santafe308 »

what i meant by "hot battery" is fresh off the charger in the garage. Cant do much today its a raining had to run to the hardware store to get a tarp this morning. just cleaned her the other day too inside an out. weird thing is starter quit not long after washing the car... unsure if there is any relation. maybe the dirt was holding everything together. didnt wash under the hood tho but water seeps in anyways.
santafe308

Post by santafe308 »

whats the best angle to approach the starter i tried from under driver door with wheels turned to the right and jacked up on that side. with no result i see the starter but the solenoid is on top all i see is a like 3-4 wires but cant identify them. then i tried from the front of the car seen it a little better but still not well enough to test for power no room to work. and from above there are so many emission hoses and what not cant even see the starter from any angle. maybe i need a big spot light flashlight isnt enough.
santafe308

Post by santafe308 »

well i decided to try again at checking the starter an this time i had my GF turn the key while i messed with the wires on the starter and what do you kno it starts to engage. so i just tighten the upper lug close to the engine and it starts nice and fast but i didnt clean the connection started it a few times and was good till the last start when all the tools were put away and i just get the click again guess i need to remove the wires clean with a wire brush and put back on and go from there.
santafe308

Post by santafe308 »

well i decided to go out an clean the connection to see if it would help and well i go to loosen the suspected terminal and the braided wire going to the starter motor is now broke in two so do i have to replace starter now? im unsure what to do with the limiting space in hand. maybe try to reattach with a crimp connector?