No spark from coil?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
Tobi

No spark from coil?

Post by Tobi »

My 1981 Spider ran just fine when I parked it in the garage last night. Today, in the morning it did not start.
Motor was turning easy and I tried a different (known for working) ignition switch. No change so back to the original switch.
Than I pulled a plug and did not get a spark. Next I pulled the wire coming from the coil and and during starting the car I got three single, random sparks and than nothing anymore.
I checked the resistance on the coil both ways and it was within specs.
I checked the voltage on the +B terminal and it was a little over 12 volts so within specs.
Then I tried the resistance ground check from the coil ground to the battery ground but how am I going to do that when the battery is back in the trunk. So I checked from the cylinder head to different ground spots by the coil and they where all in the 2 ohm area.
Than I measured close to six k ohm from one end to the other on the wire in between the coil and the cap and close to 4 k ohm on the wire feeding the first cylinder so I hope that is enough proof for the wire to be in working condition.
I do have another coil I could try but does it make sense. I have all kinds of spares from working car that I slaughtered but don't know where to start.
My fuel pump gets power when I turn on the ignition and it has been that way as long as I owned the car.
Is there anything I overlooked or anything else I can try?
harmon30

Re: No spark from coil?

Post by harmon30 »

Check the ignition module which is located underneath the coil assembly. You can remove it and Autozone can check it.
Tobi

Post by Tobi »

Thank you Harmon 30, I just replaced the ignition module with another one and it did not do it.
Since that did not work I had to replace the coil and that was not the problem either.
After that I replaced the wire from the coil to the cap and that did not make it spark.
Now the battery is on the charger :(
Any other thoughts?
Last edited by Tobi on Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
divace73
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat 124 Spider Silver

Post by divace73 »

make sure the while cable for the dizzy is intact, they can also fray inside the dizzy.
Cheers David
-=1980 silver Fiat 124 Spider=-
If you want to see pics of my car (and other random stuff) >>click here<< OR
see my >>You tube channel<<
vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Post by vandor »

divace73 wrote:make sure the while cable for the dizzy is intact, they can also fray inside the dizzy.
Called the pickup coil. It's the most common cause of ignition problems in late Spiders.
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town
Tobi

Re: No spark from coil? "SOLVED"

Post by Tobi »

vandor wrote:
divace73 wrote:make sure the while cable for the dizzy is intact, they can also fray inside the dizzy.
Called the pickup coil. It's the most common cause of ignition problems in late Spiders.

And now I know and will always remember to look there first.
Thank you Divace and Vandor.
All these years and last night the wire decided to get to snugly with the header :roll: