Chasing gremlin

Gotta love that wiring . . .
georgeramos
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider 1608

Chasing gremlin

Post by georgeramos »

for the second time in 1 1/2 years I started smelling and seeing smoke from under the dash. The first time it was pretty clearly coming from the ignition switch area. ive since added several relays and done the brown wire fix as well as cleaning what grounds I could find. early cars do not have the ground pod that later ones do which seems much more convenient.

Anyhow today the smoke seemed to be coming from behind (or even inside) the fuse box. I have NO idea how to even begin tracing where this could be coming from. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
SoFlaFiat

Re: Chasing gremlin

Post by SoFlaFiat »

Replace the fuse box... :lol:
I happen to have one for sale :mrgreen:
georgeramos
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider 1608

Post by georgeramos »

I cant imagine the issue being the fuse box itself. theres nothing to it...

Although now that Im thinking about it the #1 fuse (16g) wasnt working I realized when I tried to offer a friendly "toot' to a passing Fiat. I checked the fuse and it wasnt blown so i wiggled it which worked temporarily. Then when I got home I took it out and it looked old and beaten up so I replaced it but I dont have any 16's so I used an 8 after cleaning the contacts. that alone shouldnt cause any issues right?

SoFLAFiat does your fusebox use a different style than the original "euro" box?
azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Post by azruss »

If you have smoke, you probably have some melted insulation. get your flashlight and reading glasses and inspect all the wires going into and out of the fuse box. Would be worthwhile to pull all the fuses, clean the tips. Also clean the sockets in the fusebox and rebend them so they fit the fuses tight.
Fiat88

Post by Fiat88 »

Also make sure the fuse box has the correct amp fuse ratings. One of the PO's put I think a 25 amp fuse in place of 16 amp.
tartan18
Your car is a: 1975 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by tartan18 »

Be sure to disconnect the battery's negative post before cleaning up the fuse box. :oops:
Jim MacKenzie
1975 Fiat Spider
Finest Italian Automotive Technology