Intermittent Wiper does not work

Gotta love that wiring . . .
MrClancy
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000

Intermittent Wiper does not work

Post by MrClancy »

Hello: Has anyone run across this issue before? Wipers work fine on slow speed and fast speed. But when the intermittent position is selected, the wipers move halfway up the windscreen and then stop. And that's it. They don't move again until I move the steering column stalk to the lowest position; always on. I replaced the intermittent switch relay which did not help. Fuses are all new. Not sure where the gremlin is. Thoughts anyone? Thanks!
fiat218
Your car is a: 1969 124 AS spider

Re: Intermittent Wiper does not work

Post by fiat218 »

I have a 69 and 79 and 80 and had a 72 till last winter
Anyways I have got caught in the rain with them, wipers work all to good
Last nite I had the 80 out, caught in the rain,no top on it (yet) , anyways I just laugh, I put the wipers on and they work just fine, all of a sudden they stop! :? Then they go :wink: , then stop :lol:
I'm like dam the intermittent. Works. Lol
Never had them work on the others. Lol.
Sorry I thought I'd share
Jim
East Grand Forks MN
1970 Fiat Spider BS1 ( FOR SALE
1969 124 AS Spider
2017 Abrath
2018 Alfa Romeo 4c Spider
fiat218
Your car is a: 1969 124 AS spider

Post by fiat218 »

Sorry,I can't help you
Jim
East Grand Forks MN
1970 Fiat Spider BS1 ( FOR SALE
1969 124 AS Spider
2017 Abrath
2018 Alfa Romeo 4c Spider
seabeelt
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: Fiat Spider - 1971 BS1

Post by seabeelt »

double check and clean all of the grounds associated wit the circuit(s). the relay works on current draw. so if you are drawing alot of current the realy bimetal spring times out reallly fast and the wipers stop . also may need to disassemble the wiper motor and check all of the contacts in there. last is the steering column switch, but i would lean mor toward the grounds and then the motor itself. Do you have a motor you can substitute just to check that option?
Michael and Deborah Williamson
1971 Spider -Tropie’ - w screaming IDFs
1971 Spider - Vesper -scrapped
1979 Spider - Seraphina - our son's car now sold
1972 Spider - Tortellini- our son's current
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

Do your wipers "park" properly when you turn them off?
My understanding of the wiper delay is this.
Power from fuse 2 is present at the wiper motor blue/black wire in "start and run" position of ignition switch. This is power to the park switch in the wiper motor. A cam in the motor closes the park switch whenever the wiper arms are not in the park position. That power is then fed to the slow/fast switch and then to the wiper motor.
The delay timer provides a short duration pulse to the motor to drive the motor out of "park", causing the park switch contacts to close and power the motor until the cam opens the park switch contacts again. In other words the voltage driving the wiper motor when "delay" is selected comes directly from fuse 2. The motor current does not pass through the wiper delay timer. The timer simply produces evenly spaced pulses of voltage that if the wiper motor is in the park position will bump the motor enough to make the park switch contacts close driving the wipers one sweep back to park.
If the wipers are stuck 1/2 sweep the timers pulse is not seen because the motor is already being powered by the park switch.
I think a weak wiper motor, or a poor connection on the blue/black wire at fuse 2 or at the wiper motor connector is most likely you fault. Also the mechanical linkage being too stiff could be a part of the problem.
81SPIDERMATT
Your car is a: 1981 spider 2000

Post by 81SPIDERMATT »

slow AND a fast speed ... mine have intermittent or on... there is a fast speed ???
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

I did not just check my car but from the schematic I would say yes the delay function would work with the speed switch in either position. I am not sure if the time between the sweeps and the speed of the blades changes with the fast/slow switch or if the time between the sweeps stays the same and only the speed of the blade changes. The timer pulse determines the time between sweeps and it doesn't know what position the fast/slow switch is in. The fast/slow switch determines how fast the blades make the sweep.
MrClancy
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000

Post by MrClancy »

Thanks, everyone! I will check out all these suggestions!
wizard124
Your car is a: 1980 124 spider FI

Post by wizard124 »

highdesertexplorer

Post by highdesertexplorer »

I opened the gear box on my '78. There is a switch in there, like a set of points. I believe it is for the park. But, after cleaning them up real good, the intermittent now works. So I think they pull double duty. But I didn't really take the time to figure out exactly how it all works. I also took the motor apart and gave it a good cleaning and it runs much faster now. Every electrical connection on my car has some corrosion, inside that gear box is no exception.

Good luck!