Tachometer Hook-up

Gotta love that wiring . . .
jclarkey

Tachometer Hook-up

Post by jclarkey »

Trying to figure out how to hook up my tachometer as it was not hooked up when I got the car. Buddy said "you could just hook it back up" so it makes me think that it is a pretty simple fix.

From everything I can see in my wiring diagrams, it looks like I am just missing having the brown tach wire hooked up to the coil. There is a loose unattached wire right by the coil so I assume that is the right one. All the wires are hooked up behind the dash, and other than one loose black and white wire at the fuse box, everything else seems to be hooked up. Do I simply attached the brown wire to the coil and I am good to go? Which terminal, positive or negative? Doesn't appear to be any additional hook ups so I guess it will just piggyback on the correct terminal.

Bonus points if you can help me identify the black and white wire. I don't seem to have instrument panel lighting. Is this all I need for that as well?
seabeelt
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: Fiat Spider - 1971 BS1

Re: Tachometer Hook-up

Post by seabeelt »

What year car. Hard to tell from just the description
Michael and Deborah Williamson
1971 Spider -Tropie’ - w screaming IDFs
1971 Spider - Vesper -scrapped
1979 Spider - Seraphina - our son's car now sold
1972 Spider - Tortellini- our son's current
jclarkey

Post by jclarkey »

seabeelt wrote:What year car. Hard to tell from just the description
Sorry, 1974 Spider.
jclarkey

Post by jclarkey »

As far as the black and white wire goes, it appears there is two empty spots on the fuse box. From what I can tell 5 and 6.
jclarkey

Post by jclarkey »

I went ahead and tried to hook up the brown wire to the negative side of the coil. The car would then not start. I decided to take it off and she started right up. Either that was a coincidence or was part of the problem. Debating on whether or not I should try the positive side but am worried that I will damage some wiring in the process.

Any one have any suggestions?
fiat218
Your car is a: 1969 124 AS spider

Post by fiat218 »

jclarkey wrote:I went ahead and tried to hook up the brown wire to the negative side of the coil. The car would then not start. I decided to take it off and she started right up. Either that was a coincidence or was part of the problem. Debating on whether or not I should try the positive side but am worried that I will damage some wiring in the process.

Tac wire goes to the positive side. But some one will verify that before u attempt :D
I'm no mechanic,just a masonry man
Jim
East Grand Forks MN
1970 Fiat Spider BS1 ( FOR SALE
1969 124 AS Spider
2017 Abrath
2018 Alfa Romeo 4c Spider
westy64

Post by westy64 »

fiat218 wrote:
jclarkey wrote:I went ahead and tried to hook up the brown wire to the negative side of the coil. The car would then not start. I decided to take it off and she started right up. Either that was a coincidence or was part of the problem. Debating on whether or not I should try the positive side but am worried that I will damage some wiring in the process.

Tac wire goes to the positive side. But some one will verify that before u attempt :D
TACH DO NOT GO TO POSITIVE ON COIL !!!

Tach signal comes from the negative blade of the coil.
Wire should be brown, but you need to check with an ohmmeter if this brown wire at the coil does go to your tach.
Good luck.
fiat218

Post by fiat218 »

westy64 wrote:
fiat218 wrote:

Wire should be brown, but you need to check with an ohmmeter if this brown wire at the coil does go to your tach.
Good luck.
Whew, good thing u said
Jim
East Grand Forks MN
1969 124 AS Spider
2017 Abrath
jclarkey

Post by jclarkey »

Good luck.
So I hooked it up again to the negative and once again the car would not start. This was after a nice drive as well. Took the wire off and she started right up. Any ideas on what the heck is going on?
fiat218

Post by fiat218 »

Maybe that not the tac wire, just saying
Jim
East Grand Forks MN
1969 124 AS Spider
2017 Abrath
westy64

Post by westy64 »

fiat218 wrote:Maybe that not the tac wire, just saying
you're probably right.
westy64

Post by westy64 »

jclarkey wrote:

Good luck.
So I hooked it up again to the negative and once again the car would not start. This was after a nice drive as well. Took the wire off and she started right up. Any ideas on what the heck is going on?
did you check if this brown wire goes to the tachometer in the dash ?