Trouble removing switch

Gotta love that wiring . . .
FirstSpider

Trouble removing switch

Post by FirstSpider »

Hey guys, I believe my ignition switch has gone bad and I ordered a new one. I looked up the International auto parts video and Autoricambi instruction guide, but I cant fro the life of me seem to be able to get the old switch out of the dash. Any special tricks? Thanks for your help in advance.
FirstSpider

Re: Trouble removing switch

Post by FirstSpider »

this is as far out as I could get it. http://www.flickr.com/photos/72984020@N04/8873424774/
obdulio39

Post by obdulio39 »

don't waste your money buying a new switch. rebuild it like i did. all you do is take it completely apart and clean the contacts (you'll se what i mean when you see them) and if there is one pitted; just turn it around and readjust. my switch is the original cleaned and regreased and works as new..
aj81spider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1974 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by aj81spider »

I took mine out this weekend and struggled like you are so I know exactly where you are!

There is a bar on the left side of the switch that retracts a little when the key is lined up with the arrow. On mine it was right under the plate on the left side of the switch. The bar slides in a slot. When retracted it will clear the end of the slot. Mine (I ascertained later after finally getting it out) hung up a little side to side even when retracted.

Make sure your key is lined up with the arrow (or the bar won't be retracted and you'll never get it out) then push from the back and jiggle it a little. It took me a couple of minutes to get it free.
A.J.

1974 Fiat 124 Spider
2006 Corvette
1981 Spider 2000 (sold 2013 - never should have sold that car)
fiat218
Your car is a: 1969 124 AS spider

Post by fiat218 »

Do you have to take the column ou to replace the ignition?
Jim
East Grand Forks MN
1970 Fiat Spider BS1 ( FOR SALE
1969 124 AS Spider
2017 Abrath
2018 Alfa Romeo 4c Spider
FirstSpider

Post by FirstSpider »

Thanks Guys, took me a good 10-20 minutes but I got it out in the end. Sucker was really in there.