brake light issues

Gotta love that wiring . . .
grittracing

brake light issues

Post by grittracing »

Went for a great long drive today.but once I got to my furthest point I started noticing my tech.and fuel gage dropping when I hit the brake. So I pulled over had the wife check the brake lights sure enough they where not working . Had to drive home with emergency flashers on . Checked fuse box nothing blown. Does anyone have any ideas what I may have blown ? I am terrible at electrical
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Re: brake light issues

Post by spider2081 »

Fuse 1, closest to steering wheel is for the brake stop lights as well as hazard lights and others. there are 2 connections on the fused side of the fuse. the white wire connection is for the brake stop lights. So it is possible the connection for the other devices is good but the white wire connection is loose. The white wire goes to C22 (11 cavity connector) behind the instrument cluster. There is one cavity with 2 white wires in it. One wire is from the fuse the other continues to the brake light switch behind the brake peddle. That cavity in the other side of the connector is a yellow black wire that powers the indicators/gauges. From the brake peddle switch a red wire goes to C18 (12 cavity connector) at base of steering wheel, and continues to the left hand brake light assembly.

For your symptom I would start at the fuse and check for loose push connector. Then look for wire that might be pinched by brake peddle mechanics.
grittracing

Post by grittracing »

ended up taking each wire out of the fuse box cleaning than placing back in its place than cleaning the fuse socket and replacing with new fuses not sure what it was but all is good again
SoFlaFiat

Post by SoFlaFiat »

Sure it's not just a bad ground? That's very common and will cause all the described issues...
SoFlaFiat

Post by SoFlaFiat »

And btw, how's the Bimini top coming along? Summer in Florida, liking that whole plan!
grittracing

Post by grittracing »

the bikini top is coming along very slow. I have had a few set backs since last reported. hoping to be back on track in about 2 weeks . and be able to get back to it.