1971 - Grounding Pods? Photos?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
supplyguy

1971 - Grounding Pods? Photos?

Post by supplyguy »

Trying to put my interior back together and many electricals that worked before disassembly work episodically now. Have read every post on grounding and I'm sure that's my problem. That said, I can find no grounding pods anywhere on my car. No star shaped thingies under the hood, no grounds in the trunk except the tail light ground to the assembly, and for sure nothing between the ignition switch and the center console under the dash. Under the dash there is one ground attached to the heater core frame. Under the hood there is a max of two wires from the coil grounded to a relay bracket, and another to the coolant overflow bottle bracket, and one or two mystery grounds to the inner fenders. I have read much and eyeballed Brad's charts, and yet I think photos of the various grounding pods in a '71 would really help a ton, if anyone has them. Many thanks - Chuck.
azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Re: 1971 - Grounding Pods? Photos?

Post by azruss »

the reason you cant find grounding pods on your 71 is there arent any.
supplyguy

Post by supplyguy »

Just my luck. The easiest electrical gremlin to take on and I don't have any. Someday I will love this car - today I'd be okay if it was stolen.
4uall
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat Pininfarina Spider 2000 F.I.

Post by 4uall »

Leave it outside running.............................I am on my way :wink:
Jay

Fiona
1980 FI 2000 Spider
ITZEBTZE

https://goo.gl/photos/eNKaX7hrXhBu9fmp6

FINN (FN-2187)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport
MYTHERPY
supplyguy

Post by supplyguy »

"Running..." Ha Ha Ha!
westy64

Post by westy64 »

azruss wrote:the reason you cant find grounding pods on your 71 is there arent any.
Although there are no grounding pods as in later models, it doesn't mean there are no places with many ground wires grouped together.
On my 76, the two studs that fix the relay holder plates to the inner fender look like ground pods.
the same for the right side stud of the hazard flasher under the dashboard.

You can create your own ground pods if you need to, and if you want to rebuild clean grounds for all this stuff.
You just need to get the pods from a late parts car, and go ahead !
supplyguy

Post by supplyguy »

Thanks Westy. For now I need to limit my efforts to grounding everything in the upper console. After much research here, finding that wire colors do not match originals so gonna be trial and error. Tried new hazard switch and got no power. Put the old one in and got no power. Fiddled with every connection reachable under the dash until the blood rushed to my head and extracted myself. Got power to the old switch, hazards (why is the L spade always powered, but we connect nothing to it?), and turn signals now but no headlights. Blown inline torpedo fuse in the pink wire between ignition switch and firewall, and have no idea what that controls. Will replace that today. No power to courtesy light, and a quarter of the fuses in fuse box do not appear to be powered. I think if I had brake lights I would ignore all this other crap.
4uall

Post by 4uall »

not to add any confusion however, on my 1980 2000 my pink wire lead to my seatbelts (chime?) :?
Jay

Fiona
1980 FI 2000 Spider
ITZEBTZE

FINN (FN-2187)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport
MYTHERPY
supplyguy

Post by supplyguy »

You'll have to try harder to confuse me.....all three wires to my courtesy light are black/white striped.
4uall

Post by 4uall »

here is mine lol
4uall wrote:Image
Courtesy light wiring by itzebtze, on Flickr
Jay

Fiona
1980 FI 2000 Spider
ITZEBTZE

FINN (FN-2187)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport
MYTHERPY
supplyguy

Post by supplyguy »

Yeah - had printed out that photo from elsewhere in the forum and huddled in my car with it before work this morning....unsuccessfully!