Oil Pressure & Fuel Level Gauges Not Working

Gotta love that wiring . . .
pgilling

Oil Pressure & Fuel Level Gauges Not Working

Post by pgilling »

Hi, can anyone offer advice? The other gauges are working fine but the needles are dead on both the fuel level and oil pressure gauges although the low oil pressure warning light works. I've checked the connection on the oil pressure sender which seems ok, but not sure where to start with the fuel gauge. Before I start pulling everything apart I was just wondering if anyone knows if these faults are linked? BTW, I've just received this car from the States and not really driven it so I don't know it's history. It's a 1977 Californian model.
kilrwail
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Sport Spider

Re: Oil Pressure & Fuel Level Gauges Not Working

Post by kilrwail »

It's too early for me to go pulling wiring diagrams, but since two gauges have failed simultaneously, I'd look at the grounds at the gauges first. Do the lights in the gauges work? If not, that's another signal that it may be a grounding issue. Very often with these cars the grounds need to be cleaned and tightened to fix electrical issues. Good luck!

1978 Fiat 124 Sport Spider - original owner
1977 Porsche 911S - track car
2022 Ram 4 x 4 - hauler
PCA National Instructor and Motorsport Safety Foundation Level 2 Instructor
pgilling

Post by pgilling »

Thanks kilrwail, yes the lights to the gauges are working so I'll have a look at the wiring diagram. I guess I was after a quick fix by hoping someone would have experience of this problem.
seabeelt
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: Fiat Spider - 1971 BS1

Post by seabeelt »

You can check the fuel gauge by grounding one at a time the two wires attached to the sending unit in the trunk. One will make the red fuel light come on, and the other should peg the gauge as full. If both of these indications work, then the sending unit needs to be replaced. Do a continuity check from the oil sending unit with the wire unplugged from the unit to the back of the gauge. If wire reads ok, then that sending unit needs to be replaced. Both sending units are grounded already. Fuel via the tank to the frame and oil to the engine and then to frame.
Michael and Deborah Williamson
1971 Spider -Tropie’ - w screaming IDFs
1971 Spider - Vesper -scrapped
1979 Spider - Seraphina - our son's car now sold
1972 Spider - Tortellini- our son's current
pgilling

Post by pgilling »

Hi seabeelt, thanks for your help and advice but it seems I was missing the obvious as the fault was caused by a poor connection on the fuel tank. The car is new to me and because I'd had the instruments out I assumed I'd disturbed something. I looked at the wiring diagram and there is a common link with the oil pressure gauge and the fuel level, so there we go, another lesson learned!
seabeelt
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: Fiat Spider - 1971 BS1

Post by seabeelt »

Glad you figured it out :mrgreen:
Michael and Deborah Williamson
1971 Spider -Tropie’ - w screaming IDFs
1971 Spider - Vesper -scrapped
1979 Spider - Seraphina - our son's car now sold
1972 Spider - Tortellini- our son's current