Ignition Switch Wires II (please help Fergarelli first!)

Gotta love that wiring . . .
supplyguy

Ignition Switch Wires II (please help Fergarelli first!)

Post by supplyguy »

Car all loaded to go get my new top installed....and no start.....for three days. With Capt. John's virtual assistance we isolate the ignition switch as the culprit, and after removing the switch, cleaning the connectors, and reconnecting everything (thanks to Balto Bernie's photo of a properly wired switch) she starts right up. That said, I'm not sure what to make of the PO wiring. In the photo below there are six connections that were in place, four of which have not one but two wires into one connector - looks like the 10 gauge that's supposed to be there and a 16 gauge rider. Only the fat black and the fat red ones are solo. Also, the two joined wires to the right (red/white) drop in from way up under the dash somewhere and were never threaded through the rubber socket cover - appear to be some sort of afterthought (these are not the two hard wired into the switch innards). Questions here are one.....should I care about 10 lines drawing power through six connections? Second, was giddy about doing the brown wire fix, but I fear the switch is already maxed out - and there are no more #30 terminals unoccupied. Also thinking since the DCFiats sponsored a headlight relay day and did mine, maybe brown wire is OBE? Welcome thoughts.
fergarelli
Your car is a: 1976 124 Spider

Re: Ignition Switch Wires II (please help Fergarelli first!)

Post by fergarelli »

Hey Supply Guy,
Thanks so much for the shout out, still no responses on my posting though :cry: , maybe I should take some pics like you did and then repost. Anyway, yes, mine has 4 of the 6 wires with two wires on each as well, it seemed like a lot to me too but apparently it's okay. I'm going to bounce my situation off some folks tonight at a car club meeting and see if I can make some headway. If not, pictures will be forthcoming and see if I can get some "hits" on my question. Sincerely, Eric
supplyguy

Post by supplyguy »

Eric - This photo is elsewhere on the forum, from Balto Bernie, and served me well last night while I was upside down under the dash. When I hooked it up as shown (I had no blue/black wire but a suitable replacement from the PO) to the best of my ability, I had no headlights. I moved one of the wires that was not on the diagram from one INT post to another INT post and car started and everything, including headlights, worked. Have no idea why. I am hoping the pro's join in here for you....I am sure they know what's powering your pump when it shouldn't be.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

two wires in some connectors was original and the question about whether the switch can handle it is answered everytime someone posts about a switch failure. A really, really good mod is to use a master relay that the ignition switch operates instead of running all of the amperage through the ignition
fergarelli
Your car is a: 1976 124 Spider

Post by fergarelli »

Congrats on your fix Supply Guy! I hope I'm in your boat soon, thanks for the tip. Wish me luck :mrgreen: