Strange relay?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
gionetz

Strange relay?

Post by gionetz »

Hopefully the picture shows up, I have a wire that is unplugged (white with brown) and it seems that it may have grounded out in the past because the wire is melted and on the intake side. It reaches a relay that is missing a wire but, not sure what this relay may be for? If this looks familiar please let me know. Thanks!! Image
SLOSpider
Your car is a: 1973 124 Spider 2.0FI

Re: Strange relay?

Post by SLOSpider »

What year is it. Do you have a brake fluid cap with connectors on it. Some years have that for level and they are brown/white. Relay looks like it was an add on. Fog lights? Can you see what color the other wires are on the relay.
1975 124 Spider
1976 Mazda Cosmo http://www.mazdacosmo.com
1989 Chevy k5 Blazer
1967 GT Mustang Fastback
gionetz

Post by gionetz »

:) Thanks for the reply, I forgot to mention that it is a 75' spider. I will check out the colors on the relay and check my brake res.
gionetz

Post by gionetz »

Okay, the wires going to the relay come from the firewall, red, babyblue and yellow. The red wire was cut and spliced to a fuse, and then it goes to the relay. Thanks again! Image
toplessexpat
Your car is a: 1976 Spider 1800

Post by toplessexpat »

Which pins on the relay go to which wire?
---
Many classic Fiats - it's a disease!
www.mirafiori.com
gionetz

Post by gionetz »

Okay, first of all, thank you making me use my brain again lol - The "yellow" and "lightblue" wire seem to be the coll energizers. The "red" is on a switch side and the other two prongs for the switch are empty. All I have "in the area" is a brown with white stripe...dangling about. Thaank you!
SLOSpider

Post by SLOSpider »

Can you follow them inside the car and see where they go. Do you have a toggle switch they go to?
1975 124 Spider
1989 Chevy k5 Blazer
1967 GT Mustang Fastback
gionetz

Post by gionetz »

Well, I found them inside and followed them to a toggle switch that fell behind (above radio), sorry for having you explain to me what I should have done first but, I don't know the wiring and, if the colors struck a bell with someone I thought it might be a "re-wire" from one of the OEM relays...again, THANK YOU!!!!!!!! :lol:
SLOSpider

Post by SLOSpider »

So did you find what the toggle was for? Fan, Fog lights, Cheap coil cut off theft device?
1975 124 Spider
1989 Chevy k5 Blazer
1967 GT Mustang Fastback
gionetz

Post by gionetz »

There is nothing on the second part of the switch from the relay, it was disconnected from PO. However, when we first got the car there was "jumper" across the fan thermo but, it was cut/open. I tested the thermo and it was junk so I threw a new one in and it works great. ..."maybe" the PO had it hooked up to the fan? that would be a lot of work opposed to a new thermo! They put an inline fuse in and used pretty tough wire. I can't find evidence of fog lights but I'm going to look some more, I am going to poke around some more with my meter, I would really like to find out where the brown with white strip belongs!!??!, I can't find a connector on my brake/level and diagrams seem to point me in that direction! - The hunt goes on....