yank out wiring?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
steve8462

yank out wiring?

Post by steve8462 »

i am getting a 1981 Fiat spider body (rust-free) and its going to be the base for my rebuild. i have a complete 1979 with carb-will i be able to use the wiring harness in the 1981 rather than yanking the one out of the 1979 and transferring it over?
SLOSpider
Your car is a: 1973 124 Spider 2.0FI

Re: yank out wiring?

Post by SLOSpider »

I read your post three times but not sure what you mean. Are you going to make the 81 carbureted ? If so then yes you can use the existing harness in the 81. You just don't need the computer and its wires. There are only a few wires that connect to the stock harness from the FI computer anyways. You will need to run new wire and relay for an electric pump (cant use the FI pump on the carb) or run a manual one.
1975 124 Spider
1976 Mazda Cosmo http://www.mazdacosmo.com
1989 Chevy k5 Blazer
1967 GT Mustang Fastback
steve8462

Re: yank out wiring?

Post by steve8462 »

to clarify, i have bought a 1981 spider which is just basically a shell with no engine or transmission or interior. its just a body with a rear end and front suspension still on it. the PO left the 1981 wiring harness in place. i am going to take my 1979 which is a complete running vehicle but has a very deplorable body due to rot and rust and hack panel replacement. i plan on putting the engine, transmission and every other part that will fit on the 1981 body (shell) form my 1979 that will fit after i spend the summer prepping and painting the new body. any other thoughts or foreseeable issues would be greatly appreciated. i plan on starting a thread to document the whole project to benefit others who might want to attempt the same.