No key what should I do

Gotta love that wiring . . .
rja
Your car is a: 1974 124 sport

Re: No key what should I do

Post by rja »

Surfbeamer wrote:I know its been a while since this posted but I had the same issue. The solution may be as easy as reading the spare (key) code on the vehicle identification plate located in the engine bay on the fire wall in front to the cockpit ... Assuming the plate is still readible. Works on '76 thru '78 for sure. There are 2 codes, one for the ignition and one for the door locks. Take the code to a locksmith, they can cut a key from the code.

The details of this are provided in the Owners Manual on the first page ... They refers to "spares" which should read "spare keys".

I am taking my code to Tony's Locksmith in San Clemente ... $20 code fee and $6 for each key blank. Fix It Again Tony! Haha.
Much better and cheaper than fiddling with ignition or buying aftermarket.

Hope this helps anyway also in this situation.
ok, i bought my '74 w/o a door key. i see this plate under the hood but it only has one code on it. i'm assuming it is for the ignition key. does anyone know if the lock cylinder in the door has a code stamped on it? and where to get a key blank for the door? thanks.
if you can't be an example, be a warning.
dmwhiteoak
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 spider

Post by dmwhiteoak »

Does your trunk key not fit the doors? If not it must have been changed by a PO. They should be one in the same.
Dennis Modisette

1972 124 Spider
2003 Chevrolet Z71
2007 GMC Yucon
rja

Post by rja »

hey dennis; no the trunk key doesn't fit te door. won't even insert, much less turn. not a clue here. guess some of 'em had 3 keys. possibly why the car didn't have a pass vent window latch, either. access in the event of a locked car. i had to remove the trunk lock cyl on the '78 midget i have to get a code for a key for it. maybe someone can tell me if these fiats are the same in that respect. haven't really tried yet; it is a convertible, and don't want the top torn off if someone really wanted in. put a cheap alarm on it; wired into the courlesy light circuit. door opens/light goes on/alarm goes off. still, would love to have that key. thanx for posting. still mean to get over there to see your ride; christmas day my only one off in the next 10 or so.....
dmwhiteoak

Post by dmwhiteoak »

Try a little wd-40 in the door locks. If the key wont insert the little dogs in the lock may be froze up.
Dennis Modisette

1972 124 Spider
2003 Chevrolet Z71
2007 GMC Yucon
rja

Post by rja »

i think a po lost the door/trunk key and replaced the trunk lock mechanism and did nothing for the doors. the owners manual shows a different style key for the trunk and doors than the one i have. am really at a loss for what to do. the iap site shows a similar looking key blank to the one in the owners manual, but i have no numbers to go w/it. :cry:
Surfbeamer

Post by Surfbeamer »

Hi,
My lock smith says the code is for both ignition and door keys with one code .... The blanks are different. I havent had mine cut yet so will confirm in a couple of weeks.
Cheers
rja

Post by rja »

that is good news indeed! maybe i'll order a coupla blanks and try it. thank you. :D
Surfbeamer

Post by Surfbeamer »

I suggest that you first get your code to a locksmith and make sure they can do it.
Good luck
Surfbeamer

Post by Surfbeamer »

Looks like I steered you wrong. The spares referred to in the owners manual is not specifically for keys. Its was just a coincidence the key description is on the same page. This is probably a Fiat reference number to order spare parts. May have worked for keys but I dont think Fiat supports these old cars now.
Im back to square 1 too, I will be taking my steering assembly to a lock smith to make a key.
Happy new year!
Surfbeamer

Post by Surfbeamer »

Update for anyone who has LOST AN IGNITION KEY on a 1975 thru 1978 124 Spider (maybe other years too), and the ignition steering is locked. You do NOT need to destroy the ignition. The solution is to pry off the stainless steel ignition ring on top of the ignition cylinder. Read the code written on the top of the ignition cylinder. Take the code to a good old school locksmith and get a key cut, or by mail contact http://www.keys4classics.com (no affiliation) or similar services and provide the code.

The best practice for the doors, trunk and glovebox may be to take either the door or trunk lock to a locksmith to make a key. Assuming the locks are all a set. The key will work in the glovebox but a key made for the glovebox will not necessarily work in the doors /trunk (they are more complicated). If you are locked out of the car and trunk so cant remove the locks, alternatives are posted, such as getting a locksmith to jimmy the door, accessing the vent window :cry: or a method drilling near the trunk lock.

The details of my "research" on ignition keys is summarized below:

For the 1975 and 1978 spiders that I worked on, the ignition key code was written on top of the ignition switch under the stainless steel ring cover (the one with the key position markings). This cover is crimped on at 3 locations and can be removed by prying with a small screwdriver at the crimp points. Becareful to work all 3 points so you dont just bend one side and put some masking tap around the outside ring to protect the finish a bit.
Here are some pics from the 1978 ignition:
With stainless cover removed:
The codes were: A-#### (4 numbers).
With the code, my local lock smith looked up a key blank. The blank for both 75 and 78 where Curtis FT43 or Taylor X-109.
Here is more info from http://www.keys4classics.com on theis type of key blank: Fits Fiat 1967-83. The aftermarket part numbers for this blank are Ilco# FT43, Taylor# X109, Silca# SIP11 and Curtis# FT43. *For vehicles using the following code series: X3301 to X4886, A501 to A3278, and A-5 digit. They also cut keys from the Fiat ignition code. Also available on ebay under seller name "rfurtado1". My codes started with A-1### and A-323# which are within the range.

The locksmith wrote down a 5 digit code #####. My 1975 code was like this 34433. These numbers were not compatible with Curtis machine but after some more reading down the page, the manual noted that a 3=8 and 4=4, so the code converted to 83388. This worked and cost me $15 including the blank.

To repeat the solution: anyone who has lost an ignition key on a 1975 thru 1978 124 Spider can pry off the stainless steel ignition ring to read the code, take the code to a good old school locksmith or contact http://www.keys4classics.com or similar services and get a key cut. The Fiat key code identifies the key blank and key cut.

Hope this helps
SLOSpider
Your car is a: 1973 124 Spider 2.0FI

Post by SLOSpider »

Thanks for the information. Now if we only had a Wiki and sticky...
1975 124 Spider
1976 Mazda Cosmo http://www.mazdacosmo.com
1989 Chevy k5 Blazer
1967 GT Mustang Fastback
htchevyii
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 Spider hers 1972 Spider his

Post by htchevyii »

Yes, keys for classics rules! I lost the only key I had to the rat racer, I gave them the number off of the ign lock and they sent me a working key!
Trey
1982 SPIDER 2000, 1964 CHEVYII, 1969 Chevy Nova, 2005 DODGE RAM, 1988 Jeep Comanche
1972 Spider, 78 Spider rat racer 57 f-100,
toplessexpat
Your car is a: 1976 Spider 1800

Post by toplessexpat »

Another word of endorsement for http://www.keys4classics.com/html/Fiat124Sp.html

My '78 had a key you couldn't read the code for. I sent them a scan of it, and they worked out the code and sent me a pair of NOS cuts of it which work perfectly.... and I didn't need to going a-hunting for the code on the barrel top.

New keys turned up in 3 days. Can't beat that service (especially from the other side of the world).

Andy
---
Many classic Fiats - it's a disease!
www.mirafiori.com
dmwhiteoak

Post by dmwhiteoak »

It Seems I have this problem also. When I removed the metal plate this is what I see.

I have taken this pic to # locksmiths and they are as clueless as I am. This is from a 78 also. Anyone here that can make it out?
Dennis Modisette

1972 124 Spider
2003 Chevrolet Z71
2007 GMC Yucon
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Post by 124JOE »

if your locked out of your trunk drill a hole in the center of the plate
you'll be trying to rotate this away from the key lock
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com