Just don't know

Gotta love that wiring . . .
Tadsdad

Just don't know

Post by Tadsdad »

Got one I can't figure out. Have a 76 Spider. Has been starting OK but needs a new carb.

Tried to start yesterday and battery was dead. Only turned over a couple of times. So I charged the battery and now nothing; lights come on and starter won't turn. Pulled it with a tow rope and started just fine, drove a bit and same problem when I try to start. Seems dead at the starter. Bad wiring or do I need a new starter?

Thanks again, you guys are a ton of help.
narfire
Your car is a: 1980 124 spider

Re: Just don't know

Post by narfire »

Did you disconnect the battery when charging? I really don't know if it is an issue but I didn't and the battery never charged completely. Like you, the lights went on but not enough for the starter.
I have the battery charging now but disconnected from the car.
80 FI spider
72 work in progress
2017 Golf R ( APR Stg. 1)
2018 F350 crew long box
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

test the voltage from the ignition to the solenoid before condemning any parts
Tadsdad

Post by Tadsdad »

I did completely disconnected the battery when charging. I will check the voltage next as you suggest. Thanks for the help. Fingers crossed.
surfingfreeman
Your car is a: 1982 2000 FI

Post by surfingfreeman »

Check ignition switch, it is often times the weak link especially if a lada replacement. I had similar intermittent non-start issue and chased it around for a month. It was sporadic and when it didn't work either a jump or compression start always started it. When running with lights on take your hand and feel the wire cluster coming out of the ignition switch if it is warm or hot to the touch it could well be worn contacts in the ignition switch unit. But like others said take a voltmeter and run thru the complete circuit and check grounds as well. Good luck
Mike
Tadsdad

Post by Tadsdad »

I think I will replace the ignition switch. It is really worn out. You have to hold it with one hand and turn the key with another. Looks like a cheap aftermarket replacement. Wouldn't be surprised if that was the problem spot. Thanks for the advice.
dmwhiteoak
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 spider

Post by dmwhiteoak »

Tadsdad wrote:I think I will replace the ignition switch. It is really worn out. You have to hold it with one hand and turn the key with another. Looks like a cheap aftermarket replacement. Wouldn't be surprised if that was the problem spot. Thanks for the advice.
If you will disconnect the wire at the solinoid that is attached with a spade connector, Check the volts there with a multimeter when the key is turned you can confirm or eliminate the ignightion switch. Mine has a red wire and can be reached fairly easy. you can't see it but I think its about 12 o'clock on the solinoid. I'll take a pic of it if you need it.
Dennis Modisette

1972 124 Spider
2003 Chevrolet Z71
2007 GMC Yucon
vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Post by vandor »

It could be a bad ground, especially body to engine. Then everything would work OK, but when you try to put a load on the starter it just won't turn because of the bad ground. It's a good idea to add a second ground cable to the engine, they are cheap at the auto parts stores.
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town