Instrument Conversion questions

Gotta love that wiring . . .
toplessexpat
Your car is a: 1976 Spider 1800

Instrument Conversion questions

Post by toplessexpat »

Hi All -

I've been mulling over changing the dashboard instruments on one of the wee beasties from the stock components (which are very nice) to something a little more modern. One of the drivers for this is that my current gauges are getting a little beat up, they need taking apart and having a darn good clean, they tend to mist, and have the usual clock problems(!). Another driver is just to see if it is darn well possible! (ok - so this is the main driver!)

I've got a source for the gauges etc - and I'm very happy with them. In general I'm ok with the senders etc. Where my questions really start are around the mechanical odometer feed and converting that to the pulse (VSS) signal required by the new electronic gauge. I'm thinking that (something like) http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g2887-1 is going to be required, but would really be helpful if someone knew of the right interface as a sanity check for me (I don't think that the Summit one is the right one - just illustrative).

Has anyone done this kind of conversion before?

Is anyone interested in seeing where I end up with this?

Any other thoughts about problems I may encounter along the way?

Cheers

Andy
---
Many classic Fiats - it's a disease!
www.mirafiori.com
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Re: Instrument Conversion questions

Post by TX82FIAT »

Andy, I don't have an answer with respect to what gauges or installing a pulse conversion for RMP. However, I'll tell you that an experiment I did worked well for my gauges. Three easy steps and very inexpensive to clean up gauges and have them looking good.

*Disassemble and clean inside of gauges
*mix about 1 Once White Vinegar with 1/2 quart of hot water and wipe the gauge lenses down again. The Vinegar help keep fog out.
*Install LED lights - the LED lights do not get hot and therefore the condensation is not drawn in or out of the lens relative to the outside atmosphere nearly as much as the old hot bulbs.

I had the displeasure of driving home in the rain at night for about 30 minutes a couple weeks ago and no fog!!! wioth the excpetion of the clock becuae of recessed light fixture. All gauges are lit up and look like new.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
toplessexpat

Post by toplessexpat »

Thanks for that.

I agree with you on the steps to prevent our oh so moist Texan air from messing things up.

I think that my principle motivation here is just to see if it's possible!

That said - if I'm frustrated, then the vinegar based approach will be very useful!!

Andy

ps. Heading out to Austin mid April?
---
www.mirafiori.com
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Post by TX82FIAT »

Yes, I think just for the Satuday around Buda. Not sure if I'll ba able to hit the track with y'all based on timing.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

we did a similar conversion with an electronic speedo from VDO. They offer a pulse generator that we used. We had a short speedo cable made from the tranny to the generator. The speedo was programmable to the pulse unit and worked flawlessly
n10zf8

Post by n10zf8 »

My speedo is not working at all at this time, not sure why, too many higher priorities for now to figure it out. I have a spare smartphone I picked up on CL with gps and a speedo app it sits nicely on the dash. I prefer the oe but this works in a pinch and doesn't fog up.
toplessexpat

Post by toplessexpat »

So Cal Mark wrote:We had a short speedo cable made from the tranny to the generator
Hey Mark - so you didn't simply put a sender on to the end of the standard speedo cable generating the pulses? Was that a neatness thing - or something else?

Have found some incredibly attractive gauges by the way! :)
---
www.mirafiori.com
toplessexpat

Post by toplessexpat »

TX82FIAT wrote:Yes, I think just for the Satuday around Buda. Not sure if I'll ba able to hit the track with y'all based on timing.
"Timing" and "track" are in an uncomfortably close juxtaposition there! Suffice that Mrs Topless has already told me she will be flying to Austin and I'm to pick her up!
---
www.mirafiori.com
coise

Post by coise »

Hello everyone,
This subject is of great interest. Could anyone tell me the exact diameter of our gauges (my car isn´t with me right now).
Did anyone ever bought stuff form thoses guys?
http://www.egauges.com/vdo_main.asp

Thanks
toplessexpat

Post by toplessexpat »

I'm looking at the gauges from New Vintage.

Specifically these:
http://www.newvintageusa.com/1969.html

As for dimensions - it's one of the jobs to do when I'm home this weekend.
---
www.mirafiori.com
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

the Fiat speedo cable doesn't have the correct end to fit the transducer. We had a short cable made to eliminate routing the cable into the cabin
basarabam
Your car is a: 1980 Spyder 2000

Post by basarabam »

coise wrote:Hello everyone,
This subject is of great interest. Could anyone tell me the exact diameter of our gauges (my car isn´t with me right now).
Did anyone ever bought stuff form thoses guys?
http://www.egauges.com/vdo_main.asp

Thanks
I had duplicated these dash panels out of polished aluminum some time back. It was offered for OEM gauges and Autometer, which should be the same dimensions as those Vintage type that you are looking at. You will notice that both models use the original mounting holes for mounting in the dash.

I used a Zeiss CMM accurate within .00001" to replicate the dash insert. I dimensioned it in my software for you.

Stock

OEM Gauges installed...

Installed in Dash...

After Market ( I made these openings a bit bigger than nominal to allow for easy installation. The ring around gauge covers any over size in the opening. I think I have a few of these still sitting in the shop.

Here is a panel for a 1961 Ford Econoline Van that I polished to a mirror finish and installed Auto Meter Gauges.

If you check the sizes of gauges you will find that a lot of them are 3 1/8 (the 3 3/8 Vintage gauges could be easily buffed out the holes to make them fit) for speedo/tach and 2 1/16 for other instruments. If that is the type you get and you want one of those panels let me know, they are just collecting dust.
Matthew Basaraba

1980 Fiat Spider 2000
ORFORD2004
Your car is a: 1983 PININFARINA

Post by ORFORD2004 »

I just order digital gauge from Intellitronix http://www.intellitronix.com/6-gauge-panel.html.
Will see how it goes :roll:

John
basarabam
Your car is a: 1980 Spyder 2000

Post by basarabam »

ORFORD2004 wrote:I just order digital gauge from Intellitronix http://www.intellitronix.com/6-gauge-panel.html.
Will see how it goes :roll:

John
Now THAT is awesome! How much you have to give for that John? I dont see a price which scares me! LoL.
Matthew Basaraba

1980 Fiat Spider 2000
ORFORD2004
Your car is a: 1983 PININFARINA

Post by ORFORD2004 »