Tail light sockets

Gotta love that wiring . . .
layinlow

Tail light sockets

Post by layinlow »

I just bought a 78 and all the tail light sockets are corroded pretty bad. I've already drilled the rivets out on one and have been trying to clean the contacts inside the socket, but it's taking a long time and not goin so well. Can you buy replacement sockets? I've been looking at some universal 1156/1157 bulb sockets and may be able to make one work, but it would be nice if anyone knew where to get some that work well and are direct replacements. Thnaks!
dmwhiteoak
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 spider

Re: Tail light sockets

Post by dmwhiteoak »

You can buy the exact replacement bulbs from the parts store. I put 1156 bulbs in the tail lights and brake. I had to file a prong off but it is much brighter and has worked very well for the last year. I also drilled all the rivets and polished all the sockets and associated contacts. I applied dielectric grease to it all and have brighter running and tail lights than what I had before. I'm very happy with the results.
Dennis Modisette

1972 124 Spider
2003 Chevrolet Z71
2007 GMC Yucon
wizard124
Your car is a: 1980 124 spider FI

Post by wizard124 »

I cleaned the sockets with a dremel tool and a small wire brush. Mine weren't too badly corroded and otherwise solid.
4uall
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat Pininfarina Spider 2000 F.I.

Post by 4uall »

Jay

Fiona
1980 FI 2000 Spider
ITZEBTZE

https://goo.gl/photos/eNKaX7hrXhBu9fmp6

FINN (FN-2187)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport
MYTHERPY
layinlow

Post by layinlow »

I got all new bulbs, 1156, but the sockets are whats corroded and very difficult to clean. I drilled out the rivets and disassembled the light sockets, there is 2 metal contacts inside that hook together, I've tried cleaning them and it is a pain. I want to drill out all the rivets and throw away the sockets, I've been looking for a replacement to fit back into the light housing. So far, no luck, but I have been getting a lot of LED ideas....