apparent bad connection red wire to top of solenoid

Gotta love that wiring . . .
sshanky
Your car is a: 1969 Spider

apparent bad connection red wire to top of solenoid

Post by sshanky »

Hi guys,

I finally seem to have isolated my starter problem to the red wire where it attaches to the top of the solenoid on my '69 Spider. It appears that if I move the red wire from underneath the car while someone turns the key, the solenoid engages. I can barely get a peek at the point where the wire enters the top of the solenoid, and I'm not sure how to properly check or repair that connection. Am I going to need to remove the starter completely? Any advice on how to do that?

by the way, I've confirmed that there is 12v at the red wire spade connection just before the starter solenoid whenever the key is turned. Also, the issue was sporadic and rare before, but now it's not starting. Also, it is possible that knocking the solenoid made it turn -- i am not sure if the connection was affected by the knock or if the solenoid is bad.

Thanks a lot!
1969 Spider Phoenix
So Cal Mark

Re: apparent bad connection red wire to top of solenoid

Post by So Cal Mark »

if the red wire with the spade connector is the issue, no need to remove the starter. That wire typically has a connector that is located near the top of the shock absorber on the left side. That connection is a common problem
sshanky
Your car is a: 1969 Spider

Post by sshanky »

I jiggled the red wire while someone held the key to start and saw that it made it work. I decided that the connection problem was where the red wire attaches to the top of the solenoid, and pulled it. The female spade connector was a bit loose, so I fixed it and now I can't get the right angle to replace it. Any ideas? There is a coolant hose that I was able to lift a bit with a plank of wood to get it out of the way, but I can't get my hand near there so I can push on the connector. It's virtually impossible to do.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get that connector on??? It's soooo frustrating!

Thanks!!!!!
1969 Spider Phoenix
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

there shouldn't be any coolant hoses on that side. If you raise the car, you can see the solenoid if you look over the crossmember from the front side