Alternator

Gotta love that wiring . . .
Danno

Alternator

Post by Danno »

I need to drive my Fiat a distance that exceeds what running off of the battery alone will allow.

I am still alternator-less. I'd like to have it replaced by the end of the week because the weather is going to turn and then I'll be out of luck.

I have found an Ultima alternator (same one they carry at O'reileys) for pretty cheap. It has no pulley and is listed for A/C models. It seems that this thing comes without the pulley and that's why they label it AC model. Should there be any problem with me pulling the pulley off of my current alternator and installing this new one with my pulley? I just want to make sure I'm not missing something. The alternator part number is 13152.

Again, I can get this thing by thursday and install it that night. Being Christmas time, the bank is all tapped out, so the nicer alternator will have to come later if needed.
seabeelt
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: Fiat Spider - 1971 BS1

Re: Alternator

Post by seabeelt »

Danno, can you send me a pic of what yours looks like, I have two one from an early model and one from the 81 FI
Michael and Deborah Williamson
1971 Spider -Tropie’ - w screaming IDFs
1971 Spider - Vesper -scrapped
1979 Spider - Seraphina - our son's car now sold
1972 Spider - Tortellini- our son's current
Danno

Post by Danno »

i'll see if I can dig something up. I know mine should be the same as the 81.
Danno

Post by Danno »

some of these are useless, but they are all I have here at work on my phone:
Danno

Post by Danno »

Danno

Post by Danno »

seabeelt
Patron 2019
Patron 2019

Post by seabeelt »

I'll take a look this evening and shoot you a PM
Danno

Post by Danno »

seabeelt wrote:I'll take a look this evening and shoot you a PM
thanks, I appreciate it.
seabeelt
Patron 2019
Patron 2019

Post by seabeelt »

Danno, I looked everywhere I could think of last night and only found the earlier model. One not like in your picture. I'm hoping it didn't get scrapped with some of the other stuff that went to the salvage yard :? I assume you don't want to go the route of installing a voltage reg along with the alt. in the mean time if you find what you need because of your time crunch, no worries on this end. Sorry I couldn't be more immediate help.
R/
Last edited by seabeelt on Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danno

Post by Danno »

thanks for looking, I appreciate the help.

My buddy gave me an unknown condition older style one, but he doesn't have the external regulator.

My current alternator has a bad exciter connection, does anyone know if there is a way to utilize the exciter switch from the old style alternator to fix this?

I'm so clueless when it comes to alternators, sorry if these are stupid questions.
seabeelt
Patron 2019
Patron 2019

Post by seabeelt »

Is it something you can take apart, clean, resolder(if necessary)and reassemble :?:
Danno

Post by Danno »

seabeelt wrote:Is it something you can take apart, clean, resolder(if necessary)and reassemble :?:
Heck, don't look at me! I guess maybe I could pull out the FSM and look at the expanded diagrams that they have there...
seabeelt
Patron 2019
Patron 2019

Post by seabeelt »

Just a thought. There are a bunch of how to alternator repair videos on you tube. Do you have an Autozone store in your area, they are only $60
R/
Danno

Post by Danno »

actually looked in the useful manual. lemme see if I can problem shoot this the old fashioned way.

looks like i should test the brushes. the manual has nicely detailed images and description to help with that. I'll report back.
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Post by TX82FIAT »

Danno, once you get into the alternator let me know how it turns out if you are going to rebuilt/repair the brushes. I know you are trying to save a couple bucks on this. I have a 65amp Bosh Alt out of an 82 that should bolt right up. I did the 95 amp upgrade just over a year ago to help power the stereo and feed an additional charging port. I've had not issues with the upgrade and could work with you on a deal for the factory original that is in good working shape. I would not go to autozone for a rebuilt Alt. On other cars i have had issues with rebuilt Alternators and rebuilt calipers from them. Batteries on the other hand make replacement super easy since they are virutally everywhere.

Let me know. Thanks, Ray
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban