internally regulated alternator : wiring question

Gotta love that wiring . . .
westy64

internally regulated alternator : wiring question

Post by westy64 »

Prunette's alternator has been replaced by the PO with an internally regulated one.
There are 3 big wires linked together to provide power, and a gray one, alone, who goes to the driver inner fender (relays zone).
I unfortunately do not remember what it was linked to, when unplugging.

What kind of a signal can this extra wire deliver ?

Thank you in advance for your help.
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Re: internally regulated alternator : wiring question

Post by TX82FIAT »

I may be able to offer a little help??? I'm just not sure based on your description in I understadn what type of alternator you have. It seems to me you may be missing a charge light yello/yellow red relay wire.

Older Alternators have a power wire or in this case wires. Typically 3 balck wires that go on the power stud on the back of the alternator. The grey wire hopefully has a female end and is your wire to go to the voltage regulator. In this case I don't think that wire is needed if internal voltage regulator is hooked up. Then there should be a yellow or yellow red wire for your charge light that must be hooked up for the relay/resistance to complete the charging system. The newer alternators have one black power wire and a male terminal for the charge light. I have seen where the grey wire for the voltage regulator was left unhooked when the change was made from the old alternator to the new alternator.

My concern is your chargin light wire. If I understand the circuit correctly that must be hooked up for the charging system to work. You know have my full knowledge or misinformation with respect to the alternators on these cars. Thanks, Ray
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
westy64

Post by westy64 »

thank you tx82fiat.

You got it.
I have a modern alt with inside regulator fitted to the car.
So you think I can use the extra output of the alternator to power the battery charge relay ?
The grey wire would replace the yellow/red one ?
Or maybe rewire with the original wire that I kept apart.
vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Post by vandor »

The gray wire used to go to the external voltage regulator, you do not need to hook it up any more.
There should be a yellow, or yellow red wire that is for the alternator light. This wire needs to go directly from the alternator to the charge light, so the charge light relay needs to be bypassed. Just unplug the yellow/red wire from the relay, and the wire going to the charge light (black, I think) and connect them together with butt connectors. The other 2 wires at the relay are both grounds (white/black, I think).
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town
westy64

Post by westy64 »

vandor wrote:The gray wire used to go to the external voltage regulator, you do not need to hook it up any more.
There should be a yellow, or yellow red wire that is for the alternator light. This wire needs to go directly from the alternator to the charge light, so the charge light relay needs to be bypassed. Just unplug the yellow/red wire from the relay, and the wire going to the charge light (black, I think) and connect them together with butt connectors. The other 2 wires at the relay are both grounds (white/black, I think).
Ok, Yellow/Red goes to the relay, then becomes Violet/White, goes to C25 where it changes to Black/Violet, goes to C28 where it turns to Black until the bulb.

BUT, on the other side of this loop,

The bulb is related by a Light Blue/black wire, going to C28 then C25 and connected to Fuse L, powered by a big Orange wire coming out from the voltage regulator (when in place). This orange wire does not power anything on my car, as it is unplugged, and unpluggable.

so my question is to know how this extra connector from the alternator (where you advise me to plug Yellow/red) works ?
vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Post by vandor »

>The bulb is related by a Light Blue/black wire, going to C28 then C25 and connected to Fuse L, powered by a big Orange >wire coming out from the voltage regulator (when in place). This orange wire does not power anything on my car, as it is >unplugged, and unpluggable.

It is not powered by the orange wire. Most of the fuses in the fuesbox are paired internally, so likely fuse L is powered by the same source as the fuse next to it. I think that's the pink wire from the ignition switch.

You don't have to do anything other than what I already described to make the alternator work. I've done this on half dozen Spiders.
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town
westy64

Post by westy64 »

you're right.

I didn't notice on the diagram that fuse L is bridged with fuse I.
I still have to learn and work on these diagrams.
I will rewire according to the following.

Thank you very much.