Turn signal - one flash on dash then just clicking..

Gotta love that wiring . . .
MrClancy
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000

Turn signal - one flash on dash then just clicking..

Post by MrClancy »

Anyone ever run across this before? 79 2000. Right turn signal works just fine: the turn signal indicator on the dash lights up, and the lights on the rear and front of the car work just fine. The left signal seems to be possessed however; it works just fine if the headlights are off. But if the headlights are on, when I use the left turn signal, the turn signal indicator on the dash flashes just once, then the cylindrical aluminum relay clicks steadily away, but the turn signal lights on the car don't light up at all, and the indicator on the dash no longer flashes after that first flash. The hazard switch and light work fine in all scenarios, and the 'A' position fuse on the far right of the panel is fine. I don't know where to begin with this. Has anyone experienced this before? Thanks!
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Re: Turn signal - one flash on dash then just clicking..

Post by TX82FIAT »

check your grounding pont in the trunk drivers side. Pods under the dash and on the inside of the engine bay. Take a real good look at the circuit board connection for the rear lights and clean them as well. I had the same type of issue with my 83'.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
jfrawley
Your car is a: 1982 Spider

Post by jfrawley »

As TX82FIAT says, the grounds are a good place to start. I have a similar issue from time to time on my '82. The indicator light on the dash stops flashing but the signals continue to work. Because all of these connections run through the hazard switch, if I take my radio out and tighten all of those connections, the problems usually goes away. Just a thought.
John Frawley
Frederick, MD
1982 Spider
http://www.dcfiats.org
vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Post by vandor »

When the inside light only flashes once it means that one of the turn signals is not working.
Since this is happening only with the lights on, it is likely a grounding or contact issue. It could be a poor ground at the front or rear light, or it could be a contact problem in the rear circuit board.
When this happens check to see if either the front or rear turn signal stops working or gets dimmer (sometimes the other lights will flash too), then you will know which one it is.
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town
MrClancy
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000

Post by MrClancy »

Hi All: Thanks for everyone's help. I checked all the circuit boards, cleaned up all the grounds, and the problem remained. Then, I bought a new flasher relay unit for $7.50, and wouldn't you know it, my turn signals now work just fine! :D
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

You still might want to measure the voltage at your flasher. A poor connection between fuse A and the flasher could be a contributing factor to your problem.