Painless wiring kit

Gotta love that wiring . . .
BigMikeMc

Painless wiring kit

Post by BigMikeMc »

So I had a few problems getting through to customer service (holiday week and all) but after I sent an email I had someone call me with in 10 minutes of hiting the send button. While they don't have Fiat specific kit, I think that I will be getting one of their universal kits and using it to rewire the first car, if it works well I will end up getting another one for the next car. I did a search and didn't find if anyone on here has used these kits on the Fiats yet, if so how did it go? Am I getting myself into more headaches or simplifiying my already strange life and evoling love affair with these tempermental little Italian cars? (they remind me of a stripper I use to date, good looking, fun to handle and a real PITA, hopefully they work out better than that relationship) Anyways the main point is the guys at Painless seem to be ok to work with and after I start this rewiring project i will post more on how easy/hard, espensive/cheap, and how well it works.
kev

Re: Painless wiring kit

Post by kev »

I got the painless kit #10102, haven't installed it yet. I found online where someone else used this kit and made a write up for it. The instructions are great and look easy to follow if you have a little electrical knowledge. I found it on the dcfiat page but if you Google "fiat painless" the download from the dcfiat web page should be a top result.
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Post by baltobernie »

A year after I wrote the article, I got a call from the guy at Painless who helped with my Fiat-specific installation. He said that his management was looking into producing a kit for the Spider. I (of course) said it would be a great idea, with many of these wonderful cars still on the road. Aside from rust, I think the only other weakness of the whole car is the electrical system. I've had zero electrical issues in the four years since, and I still get positive comments from club members following a group drive on how bright and crisp my stop and turn lamps are. Wipers, heater ... all accessories work great with the 65A alternator (I don't have a stereo)

Painless never did respond to my offer of assistance, so you're on your own. A few of the hyperlinks in the article are broken, and I probably wouldn't use the headlamp relays on another project, as the switch featured in the article is more than robust enough to handle the load. I'd probably also connector-ize the turn/wiper/horn junction rather than splice all those wires. If you have any questions, PM me or post here.

If any of you perform this upgrade on an EFI car, take plenty of photos and document the procedure for others.
kev

Post by kev »

Thanks for doing that. After reading it a few times I think I can do it. I and my troublesome wiring appreciate it.