current project

Gotta love that wiring . . .
westy64

current project

Post by westy64 »

Hello,

trying to put a few thing in order, here is where I am :

hope to finish before I forget how it was before....
dmwhiteoak
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 spider

Re: current project

Post by dmwhiteoak »

good luck!!!
Dennis Modisette

1972 124 Spider
2003 Chevrolet Z71
2007 GMC Yucon
azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Post by azruss »

hope you took lots of pictures.
westy64

Post by westy64 »

azruss wrote:hope you took lots of pictures.
Unfortunately,

I had no digital camera during the unmounting phase of the job.
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Post by TX82FIAT »

No digital pics.... Ouch!. I'm not sure how I did many repairs back in the day without a digital camera/phone. When you put it all back together using different size wiring loom helps tremendously if you ever need to get back in there. Good luck. The point where you have the entire waring harness out is intimidating the first time. Try to label things the best you can now before going any further because the spagetti bowl can get more confusing as time goes on and wires are unhooked, cut, moved, fixed, checked, traced, replaced. At the end of the day there is huge pride in wonership when all electicals are working as they should or in some cases better than they ever did.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
westy64

Post by westy64 »

I have marked all connectors so that I know roughly where they have to go and I use these wiring diagrams

http://www.globallistics.com/spidersweb ... ndex0.html

very helpful.

I do not intend to wait too much before remounting, but I still have two distinct areas of work where I am almost blind

1) ignition switch as it is not original and partly modified with several inline fuses undocumented

2) the whole relay zone which is severely modified, and that I really do not understand (I do understand the relay principle, but I can't identify easily which connector is doing what, and I do not know their specific names).

I will definitely need your help, folks.

I will try to post precise questions.
azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Post by azruss »

when you are talking about a "relay zone" are you talking about the relay tray under the glove box or relays in the engine compartment. Also is your car fuel injected. If they arent factory relays then the only way to figure out what they do is to trace them to their destination. most custom relays are wired the same way. power is brought in from the battery, fuse, panel, alternator, etc. The control usually from the factory wiring for that specific function. The output goes to the destination..headlights, wipers, fan motor etc. This usually means that fresh wire was run from the power source to the relay and there is a good chance fresh wire was run from the relay to where it connects with the destination. this make tracing easy as you can physically look at the wire and follow it by looks. Good luck,
westy64

Post by westy64 »

Although Prunette was born in 1976, she was modified by one PO and is now carbd.
All peripherals related to FI and emissions have been removed, and also all indicators, relays and switches related to belts fastening.
Some re-wiring was done with original Fiat wires and colors for the main part of it, so so far I have been able to work with the above mentioned wiring diagrams.

here are the wires removed so far.

Well, all this to say that I have no relays under the glove box, but many relays in the engine bay (6 originals plus others), plus inline fuses, as I feel that all big consuming items have been relayed.

It has been done rather professional (efficient and safe), but nothing esthetic at all.
I will show you pictures in the next days.

And when replacing the ignition switch, (it burnt), they did it the same, but worse.

I just want everything look like it was original, and clean.
PininF

Post by PininF »

Hi,
Im looking at rewiring mine from head to toe, think I will leave that to the experts :lol:
Zulu

Post by Zulu »

westy64 wrote:Although Prunette was born in 1976, she was modified by one PO and is now carbd.
All peripherals related to FI and emissions have been removed, and also all indicators, relays and switches related to belts fastening.
1976 cars came carbureted. First FI'd cars were in 1980.
GeorgeT
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by GeorgeT »

Original is great but if the ignition switch burned out (common) you should add headlight relays if the PO didn't. Fiat had full current for the low and high beams going through the panel switch, the ignition switch and the column high/low beam switch. Not only will these components last much longer with the relays, you're lights will be much brighter.
westy64

Post by westy64 »

I agree.
I think it has been done, but I still do not know how (my lack of knowledge).
I also have a pair of halogen long beams, which are also relayed and slaved (is that the word ?) to the other beams.
I also noted that the big brown wire is connected to.... nothing into the engine bay, so I assume there is another relay down there.

I look forward to going back to this job. I am very excited with the idea of having all redone !!

To be followed.

By the way, what is the ignition mode relay function ?
What does it relay ?
westy64

Post by westy64 »

hereunder is the original map of the relays I have on Prunette.

I have removed the ones I do not have, or at least I do not need as I don't have the equipment.
I had a list of the ones I should add, or re-arrange in the engine bay.
Do you think I would need some more ?

Apart from this : what is the common opinion on original Fiat relays which are on our cars ?
Although they are 35 years old (or they can be), should I replace them all ?

I would appreciate keeping as much as possible the original relays (I like their vintage look), and, for the new ones, add some of the same kind (maybe a secund relay set closed to the first one).
Is it risky ?
And, last questions : those six original fiat relays are they all the same ?
Would they be suitable if I want to reuse them to relay the starter, the beams, etc... ?
I found on a vendor site that there are micro relays, mini relays, power relays, relays with a resistor, a diode, and they differ with the Amp they can stand.
What is the cut power of our Fiat relays ?
What Amp do I need to relay my equipments ?

Thank you in advance for your help.
westy64

Post by westy64 »

I told you of my ignition switch : well here it is .....

And this is the relays block into the engine compartment. Nice, isn'it ?

Hope you understand that it could be better.
westy64

Post by westy64 »

This a picture of the left front lights harness.
It it normal that there is no male connector, and that the wires go directly into this one ?
Same thing on both sides.
Thank you in advance.