C13 Blues

Gotta love that wiring . . .
westy64

C13 Blues

Post by westy64 »

Hello dear friends.
I never thought I could be disappointed by a connector, but everything happens...
I always found there were too man wires in the radio hole. It was impossible to insert a radio.
So I decided to have a look, as well as remove a few wires the PO had left after removing his race equipment.

Printed the 1976 drawings from Brad Artigue's site, and here we go, locating items and connectors and wires and etc...

Strangely, I found an 8 pins connector which seems not to be on the drawings, fully wired, but related to nothing (a red one).
Then I rewired a few lines which are much too long, so that there are loops everywhere inside.

There is an extra direct line from the neg of the coil to the tachymeter, instead of the original one.
It's due to the fact that with the abarth engine, the coil is no more on the right side of the car, where the original wire lays.
I re-routed this wire, and when trying to analyse his normal route, I found that my C13 connector is not the original one.
I don't mean it has been replaced by a new one, no, it's a completely different wired connector, with no relationship with this neg wire from the coil.
In fact, the white/brown wire from C25 is linked to the original brown going to the coil, but without passing through C13.

And this is very disappointing, as I can't be sure of anything by now, in terms of harness.

I will try again tomorrow.

Any idea ?
divace73
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat 124 Spider Silver

Re: C13 Blues

Post by divace73 »

sadly that is quite common on any car that is as old as ours and especially one that comes with Italian spaghetti wiring system, unless it has never been modified.

I may be a case of speaking to the PO to see what they did do?
Do you really have an 'Abarth' engine or one that has been specked up to one? If it is a genuine Abarth car the wiwring diagram may not even apply??

It may be a case of retracing and document what you do have installed for future reference?
Cheers David
-=1980 silver Fiat 124 Spider=-
If you want to see pics of my car (and other random stuff) >>click here<< OR
see my >>You tube channel<<
westy64

Re: C13 Blues

Post by westy64 »

actually PO told me that the car had both wirings french and US, but without knowing how modded it was.
my goal was to remove all the wired no more used as I don't have all the typical US equipt (catalysator, seat belts indicators, buzzer, etc...). The list is very long...

the engine is a true abarth, but not from a 124 abarth.
it comes from a ritmo abarth (2000 and 125 HP).
but the engine does not require much extra wires.
original harness had everything in place.
they just had to pick up what they needed...

I will pursue my investigations later this week

and yes I will trace my wiring, for the future.